Feel bad, got a guy fired

Beefy

Worst gambler ever
I had to core through a foot of concrete in 4 different stairwells this week, and so we hired a company to come out with expensive ass sonar equipment to "look" through the walls to see if there was any rebar or conduit, electrical.....

So they end up giving me these circles with an X in them on exactly where to drill to avoid this shit. Now if any of you have ever worked with a 120V Hammer dril with 1" bits going through concrete, you know what a bitch it is, and how when you hit metal, it can give you a mean assed kick. I mean it can literally break your arm or dislocate your shoulder.

So on the second stairwell, I'm standing on top of my ladder, and to my right is an open stairwell down, where if I fall, I either die, or wish I had died. 7" into the concrete, the hammer drill kicks and fucks my wrist up. I look in there and I'm dead center on a 1" pipe with wire in it. The drill caught on it and opened it, and my wrist took the force of that. So then I had to just pick a spot and drill again, which is a total fucking bitch.

4th Door, same shit except rebar, not conduit. So I tell my manager about it, he calls the company and the owner of the company says that he's firing the guy today. The guy was really cool too. I feel bad, but obviously he's in the wrong business. I hate to see a guy lose his job in this economy, but its gotta be what its gotta be.

you didn't get him fired

his fuck ups got him fired, you have to report stuff like that

I know that, but I still feel bad. The guy was a super nice guy and you could tell he was trying, but he fucked up. He made my job suck gigantic pipe last night, but to get fired out here, now, sucks.

You did the right thing Matt, like you said you could have got killed. I always wondered but how did you ever get from being a salesman to doing this job, don't you need training or did you get that when you moved there?

I separated my shoulder when I was about 10 at a summer camp, running around and some shit tripped me and I went shoulder first into a steel door that was locked. Serious pain whenever I moved my arm for a little while.

I know that, but I still feel bad. The guy was a super nice guy and you could tell he was trying, but he fucked up. He made my job suck gigantic pipe last night, but to get fired out here, now, sucks.

it does suck...so you think you shouldn't have said anything? seems to me nothing can be done, you had to say something and it was the guy's boss who fired him....perhaps he has messed up more than just this one time and that is serious hazard, his boss is liable...

his boss might just have saved someone falling or getting a broken arm

I always suspect equipment that claims to "see" what's 7" deep inside concrete. Who's to say a more experienced operator wouldn't have done the same thing?

You did the right thing Matt, like you said you could have got killed. I always wondered but how did you ever get from being a salesman to doing this job, don't you need training or did you get that when you moved there?

I separated my shoulder when I was about 10 at a summer camp, running around and some shit tripped me and I went shoulder first into a steel door that was locked. Serious pain whenever I moved my arm for a little while.

On the job training. After I quit selling hot tubs to carnival folk, I took off 4 months out here, moved into the house I'm in and this dude used to come around to drink and get high because he lived with his inlaws and knew my roommate. So we get to talking one day and it turns out he was uber smart, and a project manager for the company I now work for. So basically, he hired me to pull wire for a temp gig a couple of years ago and I did really well. So, now I'm an access control, PABX, Fire alarm, CCTV, Burglary and nurse call field tech pretty much on my own out there. Its actually pretty easy if you know computers and electrical shit. But the coring and piping is something I don't do often. We're doing all that stuff for USCIS out here in an office building, and coring is loud as hell so we had to do it after hours.

And I've never dislocated a shoulder, but I did fuck myself up two weeks in a row playing kick ball.

I always suspect equipment that claims to "see" what's 7" deep inside concrete. Who's to say a more experienced operator wouldn't have done the same thing?
I know what you mean man. I've hit UST's on remediation projects a number of times where the sonar guys had gone over the ground a half a dozen time. Sucks, cause you never know for sure what's in those tanks. I can also remember when I was working digging trench in summer jobs in college how many times we cut a line of some sort that should have been marked.

Beefy there had to be more going on then that. Besides, the guy may have been schmoozing you and may have had no intention of firing the guy.

I know what you mean man. I've hit UST's on remediation projects a number of times where the sonar guys had gone over the ground a half a dozen time. Sucks, cause you never know for sure what's in those tanks. I can also remember when I was working digging trench in summer jobs in college how many times we cut a line of some sort that should have been marked.

Beefy there had to be more going on then that. Besides, the guy may have been schmoozing you and may have had no intention of firing the guy.

I used to use a "beach trash" metal detector to document if rebar was installed in concrete block basement wall. Sometimes the contractor would fill the wall with grout before the inspector came and then he had to call me to overrule. After using it for 4 or 5 years I thought I was getting pretty good at it.

So I get a call to inspect a wall down at the shore in the hurricane zone. The owner's filthy rich and flies me and a contractor that I've worked with for years down in his private plane. I use the detector along the wall and mark out where I get signals, and it turns out to be 16" on center, or every other cell. So the contractor drills to find depth and never finds a single piece of steel. Needless to say it was an embarrassing moment.

So I bought a more expensive type that the surveyors use. It works on a different principle so you don't have to wave it around. I can't find the damn property corners of my property with that thing.

Yeah, I clicked on this thread to call Beefy an asshole, but I guess he doesn't deserve it because the guy fucked up. Just for in general being an asshole...

Back