First direct image of exoplanets orbiting a star

Potentially habitable exoplanets in the Trappist-1 system

NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has revealed a new exoplanet discovery: the first known system of seven Earth-size planets around a single star. Three of these planets are firmly located in the habitable zone, the area around the parent star where a rocky planet is most likely to have liquid water.

The discovery sets a new record for greatest number of habitable-zone planets found around a single star outside our solar system. All of these seven planets could have liquid water–key to life as we know it–under the right atmospheric conditions, but the chances are highest with the three in the habitable zone.

“This discovery could be a significant piece in the puzzle of finding habitable environments, places that are conducive to life,” said Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator of the agency’s Science Mission Directorate in Washington. “Answering the question ‘are we alone’ is a top science priority and finding so many planets like these for the first time in the habitable zone is a remarkable step forward toward that goal.”

https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/news/14...ze-habitable-zone-planets-around-single-star/

24 "super-habitable" exoplanets potentially better than Earth identified

A team of scientists led by Washington State University (WSU) geobiologist Dirk Schulze-Makuch has identified two dozen exoplanets that could be more favorable to life than the Earth. Based on data from the Kepler mission, these super-habitable worlds may have conditions more suitable for sustaining life for a longer period of time than our planet.

https://newatlas.com/space/two-dozen-exoplanets-superhabitable-identified/

First image of Betelgeuse star. Imagine how far we can go.

potw1726a.jpg

Looks like a yellow donut with a yummy stuff inside.

First image of Betelgeuse star. Imagine how far we can go.

potw1726a.jpg

Looks like a yellow donut with a yummy stuff inside.

Betelgeuse was always my favorite star. Evidently there are indications it could super nova pretty soon, at least on galactic time scales

Betelgeuse was always my favorite star. Evidently there are indications it could super nova pretty soon, at least on galactic time scales

Same here until I learned about Barnard's Star.

Barnard2005.gif

Astronomy was a hobby of mine when I was a kid.

Stars, especially constellations, won't look the same in the future.

Take the sword bearing Orion as an example.

Stars, especially constellations, won't look the same in the future.

Take the sword bearing Orion as an example.

I am looking forward to the imminent collision of our galaxy with the Andromeda galaxy, assuming I can hold on for another two billion years.

That should really shake up the stellar constellations.

I am looking forward to the imminent collision of our galaxy with the Andromeda galaxy, assuming I can hold on for another two billion years.

That should really shake up the stellar constellations.

I hope it will shake up the modern conservatives of that time. Boy being alive just to see that. :laugh:

GND = Gravity New Deal?

It is probably not widely understood that without a magnetic field, the chances for life as we know it on other planets might be fairly negligible.

Astronomers detect signature of magnetic field on an exoplanet

Researchers have identified the first signature of a magnetic field surrounding a planet outside of our solar system. Earth's magnetic field acts as a shield against energetic particles from the sun known as the solar wind. Magnetic fields could play similar roles on other planets.

An international team of astronomers used data from the Hubble Space Telescope to discover the signature of a magnetic field in a planet outside our solar system. The finding, described in a paper in the journal Nature Astronomy, marks the first time such a feature has been seen on an exoplanet.

A magnetic field best explains the observations of an extended region of charged carbon particles that surround the planet and stream away from it in a long tail. Magnetic fields play a crucial role in protecting planetary atmospheres, so the ability to detect the magnetic fields of exoplanets is a significant step toward better understanding what these alien worlds may look like.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/phys.o...nomers-signature-magnetic-field-exoplanet.amp

Back