First speeding ticket in 20 years

MAGA MAN

Let's go Brandon!
This was in Upstate NY last week and I pulled out, turning left, from a side road onto a low volume but high speed two lane. There was a car way down the road to my right and after stopping, checking both ways, accelerated briskly onto the highway. The guy behind me was gaining quickly so I got it up past the speed limit before I started my coast down to cruising speed. It was a cop and he bagged me doing 71 in a 55.

Not sure if I should hire an attorney of just pay it. I don't give a shit about the fine only my insurance.

This was in Upstate NY last week and I pulled out, turning left, from a side road onto a low volume but high speed two lane. There was a car way down the road to my right and after stopping, checking both ways, accelerated briskly onto the highway. The guy behind me was gaining quickly so I got it up past the speed limit before I started my coast down to cruising speed. It was a cop and he bagged me doing 71 in a 55.

Not sure if I should hire an attorney of just pay it. I don't give a shit about the fine only my insurance.

These days, you are probably facing a revenue generation machine. I got pulled over in the finger lakes region for a similar offense about 30 years ago, and was let off with a warning and thanks for my military service.

Going "71 in 55" ain't going help your cause, kinda tough fighting that

These days, you are probably facing a revenue generation machine. I got pulled over in the finger lakes region for a similar offense about 30 years ago, and was let off with a warning and thanks for my military service.

My week-long road trip took us into six states. Out of all, we saw the most "revenuers" in NYS. The only exception was on I40 close to home, here in NC, where they were doing a saturation in the five-mile long construction zone.

My week-long road trip took us into six states. Out of all, we saw the most "revenuers" in NYS. The only exception was on I40 close to home, here in NC, where they were doing a saturation in the five-mile long construction zone.

And out of curiosity, where were you in Upstate NY? I was born in that area

You were caught speeding.

Don't be a cunt and own it.

you can't fight city hall

It's easy to fight a speeding ticket, just hire a lawyer and have them handle it. Last time I had to fake that my speedo had stopped working. Blow the fuse that powers it, get a receipt from a shop showing that you got it fixed. So my infraction got reduced from speeding to improper equipment.

I would just apply for a deferred adjudiication if you have no other tickets in that state.

You still have to pay the fine, but it is immediately removed from your driving record!

The state of NY may not allow it if you are from out of state! But, I would check it out.

And out of curiosity, where were you in Upstate NY? I was born in that area

I lived there between 1986-1997. Syracuse and surrounding area. It's the eastern-most mid-west city, very laid back attitudes. I loved it up there. Lived on two acres in the country and it was so quiet that you could hear the groundwater in the spring after the snow had melted. Met lots of nice folks up there and are still in contact with many of them.

We used to Nordic ski out my back yard and through my south neighbor's corn field. I had plans to build a rope tow from my barn, down through my west neighbors' back yards, powered by my '56 International tractor to make a 1500' ski run.

I had a '69 F100 winter rat that I loved driving in the snow. I had a granite slab from an old toilet stall in the back for weight; with studded snow tires it was unstoppable.

I also had a 10HP track drive snow thrower that would eat a 24" snowfall in 45 minutes. I needed it because the snow drifted constantly, and many days durint the long wither I had to use it twice. Once to get out to work and a second time to get back in after work and shopping.

Heated the place with wood on a Vermont Castings top-loader. Oil heat was our backup.

Had a 30x40 machinery barn that I heated with an old oil furnace and burned waste oil in it. I had my '66 Mustang, '64 TBird, my tractor and whatever summer car was in there during the winter. Once/ month I'd host a 25-cent poker game there and we had a bucket of snow to keep the beer cold and pissed in the compost pile behind the barn.

Had a one-night-per-week season pass at Toggenberg mountain, 20 minutes down the road. Cost $40 back then. I used to go with a friend and we'd put on layers of clothes and still freeze our asses off on the chairlift, ten below and 30 mile/ hour wind.

Great times.

I lived there between 1986-1997. Syracuse and surrounding area. It's the eastern-most mid-west city, very laid back attitudes. I loved it up there. Lived on two acres in the country and it was so quiet that you could hear the groundwater in the spring after the snow had melted. Met lots of nice folks up there and are still in contact with many of them.

We used to Nordic ski out my back yard and through my south neighbor's corn field. I had plans to build a rope tow from my barn, down through my west neighbors' back yards, powered by my '56 International tractor to make a 1500' ski run.

I had a '69 F100 winter rat that I loved driving in the snow. I had a granite slab from an old toilet stall in the back for weight; with studded snow tires it was unstoppable.

I also had a 10HP track drive snow thrower that would eat a 24" snowfall in 45 minutes. I needed it because the snow drifted constantly, and many days durint the long wither I had to use it twice. Once to get out to work and a second time to get back in after work and shopping.

Heated the place with wood on a Vermont Castings top-loader. Oil heat was our backup.

Had a 30x40 machinery barn that I heated with an old oil furnace and burned waste oil in it. I had my '66 Mustang, '64 TBird, my tractor and whatever summer car was in there during the winter. Once/ month I'd host a 25-cent poker game there and we had a bucket of snow to keep the beer cold and pissed in the compost pile behind the barn.

Had a one-night-per-week season pass at Toggenberg mountain, 20 minutes down the road. Cost $40 back then. I used to go with a friend and we'd put on layers of clothes and still freeze our asses off on the chairlift, ten below and 30 mile/ hour wind.

Great times.

Pretty area, actually most of NY State is very scenic, never knew that the biggest park in the United States was in New York, and I was born in Saratoga just south of the Adirondack Park. Been to Syracuse, football, basketball, and State Fair

Pretty area, actually most of NY State is very scenic, never knew that the biggest park in the United States was in New York, and I was born in Saratoga just south of the Adirondack Park. Been to Syracuse, football, basketball, and State Fair

I did a lot of work for clients in that region, the Finger Lakes and Adirondacks. Several clients north of the Adirondacks; they were practically Canadians.

Great times.

8 months a year in Up State NY is great!

And then there is that White-Out. LOL!

Just kidding! I always enjoy visiting Up State NY! Life can actually be much simpler by living there.

If you do try to fight that ticket, make sure your lawyer does not allow any jurist who has a cop in their immediate family!

And make sure your lawyer asks that question during the selection process if the DA doesn't ask first.

Just a tip! Uh! Speaking from experience! LOL!

If you haven't had a ticket in a long time, some states allow you to take an online traffic course, pay the fine and it doesn't go on your record.

You might consider arguing you merely accelerated to avoid being hit by a extremely fast moving vehicle. Sounds as if the cop did have lights on and he was speeding, causing you to accelerate safely to avoid a collision.

If you do try to fight that ticket, make sure your lawyer does not allow any jurist who has a cop in their immediate family!

And make sure your lawyer asks that question during the selection process if the DA doesn't ask first.

Just a tip! Uh! Speaking from experience! LOL!

I don't believe you are entitled to a jury for a non criminal offense. In my state, if you appeal a ticket, it actually goes through a separate court and there is no jury unless you appeal past that court and can argue, say, a constitutional violation.

8 months a year in Up State NY is great!

And then there is that White-Out. LOL!

Just kidding! I always enjoy visiting Up State NY! Life can actually be much simpler by living there.

I didn't mind the snow and cold because I've always (still do) enjoy snow sports. My reasons for leaving NYS:
1. Property taxes 4 to 5 times higher than they should be (and are in most other states). This makes a dramatic impact on the type of house that the average person can afford.
2. The state is controlled by liberal Democrats downstate, who treat the Upstate like shit.
3. The legislature didn't even debate when the original 30 year Thruway Authority agreement was up. They just continued the tools and are screwing all the upstaters that use it.
4. Similar deal with my professional license. They raised the fees by more than double, and their explanation basically stated 'because we can, you have the money and we want it'.
5. The state education department is a bureaucratic mess. Most of the high school upstate suck because they have no money. Instead all the taxes support a huge campus of administrators in Albany that do nothing but pass paper between each other.
6. Cuomo.

I didn't mind the snow and cold because I've always (still do) enjoy snow sports. My reasons for leaving NYS:
1. Property taxes 4 to 5 times higher than they should be (and are in most other states). This makes a dramatic impact on the type of house that the average person can afford.
2. The state is controlled by liberal Democrats downstate, who treat the Upstate like shit.
3. The legislature didn't even debate when the original 30 year Thruway Authority agreement was up. They just continued the tools and are screwing all the upstaters that use it.
4. Similar deal with my professional license. They raised the fees by more than double, and their explanation basically stated 'because we can, you have the money and we want it'.
5. The state education department is a bureaucratic mess. Most of the high school upstate suck because they have no money. Instead all the taxes support a huge campus of administrators in Albany that do nothing but pass paper between each other.
6. Cuomo.

Property values are too high everywhere, and they are only going to get higher the more the Feds and states cut funding on infrastructure everywhere, causing the local tax authorities to have to look after their own communities!
Fortunately I don't have to pay much in property taxes anymore because of my age, but I feel the pain of others.
And, it only screws the younger families who are struggling to afford their first home while Real Estate prices are bubbling up higher and faster than ever before.
And I also might add that property taxes are already higher as a result of so many people not having health insurance, they are using emergency rooms in your district as well as mine, and yes! It comes back on us in the way of Property taxes!

When I was paying property taxes, my HospitalTax portion of the tax was over 2,000 a year- higher than what I was paying for my own personal company assisted private health insurance- that wasn't that good to begin with. My God, hospital taxes should not be more than our School Taxes- but they are!

I live in the DFW area, but I hear this is bad everywhere. And even though we have been known in the past for having lower and more affordable housing here, that has all changed with the influx of people moving here from California that sold their lean-to shack in California for a million bucks and paying well more than properties are worth here causing the tax base to just keep rising and rising to where housing is out-pricing our affordability to keep up with them.

I don't see these problems as political, I just see them as problems that need resolving.

I know they are painting a rosie picture about the economy. But I honestly believe it's all done with smoke and mirrors, because everyone I know is working more hours than ever, and just going deeper into debt.

I'm good,retired now, have everything I could possibly want, but I see and feel the pain of most all those around me, neighbors, family, friends etc.

Back