Florida in 2010

cawacko

This post might not mean as much to you guys who don't follow recruiting closely but Joshua Shaw is a 4-star cornerback from So Cal that has verballed to Urban and UF. Ronald Powell is a 5-star defensive end and one of the top 5 players in the country who is also from So Cal and is down to UF and USC with UF supposedly holding the lead. Urban is going after a couple other So Cal kids as well. Here is a post from an 'SC insider.

Joshua Shaw-more about symbolism than substance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not the kid. The kid seems like a normal everyday recruit. His talent level is very good , but not program changing. Ronald Powell, Woods, Seantrel Henderson, Seastrunk are potentially program changing level type of recruits.
So why is Urban hovering over him like a chicken guarding an egg? I think Shaw represents symbolism for Urban Meyer. I do think that he really wants to get Shaw, Jefferson, Stills, Powell and Riley. That is a recruiting coup for him.
Even though USC is going to probably bring in a national level class not seen around here in 4 years, this now means everything to Meyer. I think if Brian Kelly was still at UC, he might be preparing for his bowl game more instead of stalking teenage boys.
Obviously losing his coaches is a minor glitch, but at a program like UF or USC you have backup plans and guys waiting to fill those rolls. What hurt UF the most was losing that game to Bama. In fact getting their asses kicked was a correct term. This could be a chink in the armor.
Urban Meyers dream was to roll out here for the NC game in the Rose Bowl and show Powell and others that UF was the elite school in the country. Now he cannot do that.
Shaw is about winning a recruiting battle in Socal against PC. Thus more about symbolism than substance.

Next year I think Bama is better than UF and LSU might be also. Losing Tebow and Cooper from a team that had no other playmakers will be the death knell for them. Look for Tennessee to perhaps rise up and beat Urbie since the game is at Tennessee. If those things happen and UF ends up as an also ran look for UF's days in California to end. They did for Miami and FSU.
Urbie will face some tough times because he has burned a lot of bridges in Florida and UF has to become a national level recruiting school. While they have had a great run, strangely I think they are on the brink of a bad run.

This post might not mean as much to you guys who don't follow recruiting closely but Joshua Shaw is a 4-star cornerback from So Cal that has verballed to Urban and UF. Ronald Powell is a 5-star defensive end and one of the top 5 players in the country who is also from So Cal and is down to UF and USC with UF supposedly holding the lead. Urban is going after a couple other So Cal kids as well. Here is a post from an 'SC insider.

Joshua Shaw-more about symbolism than substance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not the kid. The kid seems like a normal everyday recruit. His talent level is very good , but not program changing. Ronald Powell, Woods, Seantrel Henderson, Seastrunk are potentially program changing level type of recruits.
So why is Urban hovering over him like a chicken guarding an egg? I think Shaw represents symbolism for Urban Meyer. I do think that he really wants to get Shaw, Jefferson, Stills, Powell and Riley. That is a recruiting coup for him.
Even though USC is going to probably bring in a national level class not seen around here in 4 years, this now means everything to Meyer. I think if Brian Kelly was still at UC, he might be preparing for his bowl game more instead of stalking teenage boys.
Obviously losing his coaches is a minor glitch, but at a program like UF or USC you have backup plans and guys waiting to fill those rolls. What hurt UF the most was losing that game to Bama. In fact getting their asses kicked was a correct term. This could be a chink in the armor.
Urban Meyers dream was to roll out here for the NC game in the Rose Bowl and show Powell and others that UF was the elite school in the country. Now he cannot do that.
Shaw is about winning a recruiting battle in Socal against PC. Thus more about symbolism than substance.

Next year I think Bama is better than UF and LSU might be also. Losing Tebow and Cooper from a team that had no other playmakers will be the death knell for them. Look for Tennessee to perhaps rise up and beat Urbie since the game is at Tennessee. If those things happen and UF ends up as an also ran look for UF's days in California to end. They did for Miami and FSU.
Urbie will face some tough times because he has burned a lot of bridges in Florida and UF has to become a national level recruiting school. While they have had a great run, strangely I think they are on the brink of a bad run.

UF had an amazing run at the top. But they also did so when the rest of the SEC was having some major problems.

Bama is obviously back on track and recruiting very well. Auburn will take another year, but they will develop. TN is gonna grab some good recruits and is going to be a force to be reckoned with. Lane Kiffin isn't who impresses me or even scares me. His dad is the genius in that family. What he did with that defense was amazing.

Florida won't drop off the radar. But I think it will be a much tougher couple of years for the Gators.

Unlike USC Florida has to compete with 3 to 5 top 20 programs and battle LSU & BAMA for top 5 type classes.

Unlike USC Florida has to compete with 3 to 5 top 20 programs and battle LSU & BAMA for top 5 type classes.

Alabama has nine kids from the state of Florida and LSU has two. So either Alabama and LSU have no idea and skill of how to recruit in Florida or they don't go there that often. Considering the number of D-1 players the high schools in Florida turn out its not like there aren't players for 'Bama or LSU to get.

How many players do 'Bama and USC go head to head for? Almost none. How many do USC and LSU? There have been a couple like Patrick Peterson and Joe McKnight but not all that many.

Florida and USC have gone head up for far more. It's not my fault Urban has been burning bridges in his home state and has to look more around the country.

It doesn't take long to get a reputation in the recruiting world and it sounds like Urban is starting to get one as not being truthful with players. That can be true and he can still overcome it so it remains to be seen but that's what's getting said about him now.

Last edited:
Saban's recruiting classes have been at the top (if not the absolute top) for the last 3 years. If there is a player he goes after he usually gets them.

Also, its not all about recruiting across the country. If you have the players you need and can compete, that takes care of it.

Bama hasn't pulled many players out of FL or CA. But we still managed to win 25 of our last 27 games, including the SEC Championship. And we are heading to CA to play for the NC. Not bad for a bunch of southern boys, one yankee, and so few floridians.

Cawacko gone wacko, wtf is the big deal about how many florida kids LSU has.
Check Scouts, LSU has been in the top 3 classes the whole time just about Miles has been here.
We get a few kids from florida, of course bama gets more their next door. We get the 5 star in state kids.

Saban's recruiting classes have been at the top (if not the absolute top) for the last 3 years. If there is a player he goes after he usually gets them.

Also, its not all about recruiting across the country. If you have the players you need and can compete, that takes care of it.

Bama hasn't pulled many players out of FL or CA. But we still managed to win 25 of our last 27 games, including the SEC Championship. And we are heading to CA to play for the NC. Not bad for a bunch of southern boys, one yankee, and so few floridians.

BUT, oh that Yankee and the Floridians you do have!

BUT, oh that Yankee and the Floridians you do have!

Yeah, I have to agree there.

Belme, on behalf of Alabama fans, I would like to personally thank you for Javier Arenas, P.J. Fitzgerald, Mike Johnson, Marquis Johnson, Colin Peek, Chris Rogers, and Roy Upchurch.

Glad ya'll didn't keep them.

Cawacko gone wacko, wtf is the big deal about how many florida kids LSU has.
Check Scouts, LSU has been in the top 3 classes the whole time just about Miles has been here.
We get a few kids from florida, of course bama gets more their next door. We get the 5 star in state kids.

you were talking about who Florida competes with and you listed 'bama and lsu and usc competes with no one. Well it doesn't look like Florida competes that much with bama and lsu for recruits. (I know they do some).

Back