Football is dead

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
As we currently know it. The NFL just doesn't know it yet but the writting is on the wall. As we learn more and more about football and associated risk of traumatic brain injuries.

How do I know it's going to die? Because parents are turning away from the sport. The NFL primary feeder of talent are our high schools and colleges. As more and more parents learn about the consequences of traumatic brain injuries more and more parents are refusing to permit their children to participate in the sport. As much as I love the sport knowing what I know now, no way in hell am I letting my kid play organized football. A few moments glory on the field isn't worth a life time of diminished cognitive functions.

Then there are the lawyers. They've been circling the NFL for years but finally struck this year with lawyers representing almost 4,000 football players who suffer cognitive impairment from the traumatic brain injuries that occured while playing the sport. It's pretty obvious that the truth about the cumulative affect from brain injuries was misrepresented to athletes. They'll win their fair share of cases.

Then when that trickles down field what happens when high schools can't subsidize the sport cause the liability costs would be to great?

No, unless the game of football radically changes to protect athletes from traumatic brain injury the sport, as we know it, is done.

Unless there are major changes the arena league will become the height of American football.

Where else will you find the violence that we as Americans crave? And with the Russian mob controlling the NHL, we can be assured that it will remain violent.
I keep telling you...Golf!!!

I mean Hockey is just a great white north version of football. If we want to give brain damage to people lets give it to people who freaken deserve it. If we're going to have a sport that purely about gratuitous violence let it be golf. Play it in a mine field. Kill off a bunch of those corporate assholes who desperately deserve it.

Back