For AnyOld - Plot Holes

LadyT

JPP Modarater
Contributor
I saw you're note in another thread about plot holes in 28 Weeks Later. Here are a few that I couldn't really get over:

#1) They said that it didn't manage to jump species......well the entire epidemic started with Monkey's infecting humans

#2) The father had access to a secure site with a known infected person.....who wasn't guarded at all times? I don't care how effed up Iraq is, if that would never happen. I mean, he just walked right in there with his pass and no one knew or stopped him. He was basically some guy that they found in a raft.

#3) When the kids left the clean zone, the guy saw them leave and it took them a conveniently long time to find the kids.......right when they found the mother......?

#4) They locked a huge group of people in an area to keep them away from the infection and these people who weren't infected couldn't manage to find the way in and out that one of the few infected at that time could?

#5) The father did an amazing job of stalking the kids considerign the fact that he was a stark raving mad zombie.......but I could have let that one go if it weren't for everything else.

#1) They said that it didn't manage to jump species......well the entire epidemic started with Monkey's infecting humans

They did, however, clarify this by later commenting that this is a simian disease. This is more lax scriptwriting than anything...

#2) The father had access to a secure site with a known infected person.....who wasn't guarded at all times? I don't care how effed up Iraq is, if that would never happen. I mean, he just walked right in there with his pass and no one knew or stopped him. He was basically some guy that they found in a raft.

Fair point. They could have done this better.

#3) When the kids left the clean zone, the guy saw them leave and it took them a conveniently long time to find the kids.......right when they found the mother......?

Keeping in mind that the kids were on a scooter, and that London's streets can be labyrinthian, and that the troops got there not long after the kids arrived, I think this is fair enough. From the time the kids were seen to getting the quick reaction force NBC suited and out would have delayed them too. This is fairly realistic.

#4) They locked a huge group of people in an area to keep them away from the infection and these people who weren't infected couldn't manage to find the way in and out that one of the few infected at that time could?

That door looked like a typical fire door we have over here, with the ability to open one way using a pushbar, but unable to open the other. I think the door was padlocked, but the father managed to get this off, shaking it... I this case, it is realistic that after a good shaking, a door that couldn't be opened one way, could the other.

#5) The father did an amazing job of stalking the kids considerign the fact that he was a stark raving mad zombie.......but I could have let that one go if it weren't for everything else.

Infected old bean, infected. These are basically humans, infected by an inhibitor which creates instant rage, vomitting and a desire to attack humans. The stalking was a little far fetched, though just as George Romirez had his zombies remembering the mall etc... maybe this could be a plot development in the story as a whole?

Most of these points are a result of poor writing (Alex Garland is reported to be writing III), but I don't think they affect the plot too badly. On the whole this is, IMO, shaping up to be one of the best film trilogies ever made....

I didn't catch the part about it being a simian disease. My bad if they did.

I just couldn't buy the kids basically walking off and having time to get a scooter, and get to their house in order to find their mom. I mean, no warning shots? The guys were on patrol 24/7 and ready to pounce at a moments notice and there wasn't even a bull horn to tell the kids to get back? Not to mention if no one was tailing them it would be a lot harder to find them once they reached their destination.

I didn't realize it was a one way fire exit, if that's the case then I suppose I can buy that.

I would have been willing to buy the dad stalking the kids if it weren't for everything else that kind of bothered me. But all in all I definitely don't think it lived up to the original. Hopefully they will redeem themselves with the next one.

I just couldn't buy the kids basically walking off and having time to get a scooter, and get to their house in order to find their mom. I mean, no warning shots? The guys were on patrol 24/7 and ready to pounce at a moments notice and there wasn't even a bull horn to tell the kids to get back? Not to mention if no one was tailing them it would be a lot harder to find them once they reached their destination.

Ah, but to get a quick reaction force, especially one in nuclear, biological and chemical warfare suits out and into the streets takes time. they might have been able, in this time to find the scooter and set off, if the pizza shop wasn't far from the bridge they crossed.

As for tailing, an individual soldier would need permission to tail, especially to leave the green zone, and by the time that came through the kids would be out of eyesight.

Fair enough, they should have had sirens or a warning shot might help, but you can't have everything...

I would have been willing to buy the dad stalking the kids if it weren't for everything else that kind of bothered me. But all in all I definitely don't think it lived up to the original. Hopefully they will redeem themselves with the next one.

The original was just stunning, and the sequel was always going to suffer from the shock-factor being used by the first. It wasn't as well written either, but was still a good film, expanding on the story, though would love to see a movie based in the first 28 days.... lol

Ah, but to get a quick reaction force, especially one in nuclear, biological and chemical warfare suits out and into the streets takes time. they might have been able, in this time to find the scooter and set off, if the pizza shop wasn't far from the bridge they crossed.

As for tailing, an individual soldier would need permission to tail, especially to leave the green zone, and by the time that came through the kids would be out of eyesight.

Fair enough, they should have had sirens or a warning shot might help, but you can't have everything...

The original was just stunning, and the sequel was always going to suffer from the shock-factor being used by the first. It wasn't as well written either, but was still a good film, expanding on the story, though would love to see a movie based in the first 28 days.... lol

That would make a great fourth installment - one that I'm sure is inevitable particularly if the next one is as good as the first. I agree though, I think the writing in this one was a little poor. which is was a huge let down considering I'd been counting down the days since I found out they were shooting it last year. My problem is I had way too high of hopes for this film. They really need to take their time writing the other one.

Back