APP - for people that think that southern california does not have four seasons

Don Quixote

cancer survivor
Contributor
sure we do, fires, floods, riots, and earthquakes...

right now it is fire season...and a little closer than i like

oh well

Yeah, that sucks. I don't envy CA and CO this time of year, with their annual forest fires. Hell, Eastern WA had some last summer, and also the Boise area.

sure we do, fires, floods, riots, and earthquakes...

right now it is fire season...and a little closer than i like

oh well

When does mudslide season start? Somewhere between fire and floods, I reckon.... let me know....not into sweet drinks....but I'll take a double.

That is one thing about living in the NE...the weather is pretty predictable....the only thing I wish is that we would be getting more snow in the winter. Don't relay like snow....but I do like my well.

When does mudslide season start? Somewhere between fire and floods, I reckon.... let me know....not into sweet drinks....but I'll take a double.

after the fires when it rains and you have to have earth movement insurance beyond homeowners insurance...amazing what homeowners insurance no longer covers, but then people build home in some of the riskiest places...like hillsides

oh well

That is one thing about living in the NE...the weather is pretty predictable....the only thing I wish is that we would be getting more snow in the winter. Don't relay like snow....but I do like my well.

be careful what you wish for...you may get it, and is your well far enough from the nearest septic tank/cesspool leach field...do you have your water periodically tested, who knows what toxic waste is being dumped in your water table...

we live next door to vandenberg AFB and who knows what toxic materials may show up in our drinking water if it were not tested annually...by ca law

ps our house shakes like it were in an earthquake when they fire off the really big saturn missiles

oh well

Yeah, I purchased earthquake insurance for my house. Less than $30 a month for a 15% deductable, and earthquakes are really the only disaster I fear living in the NW. Someday I will upgrade my policy to the 10% deductable, and perhaps extend it to include all volcano-related incidents rather than just seismic activity generated by volcanos...

Yeah, I purchased earthquake insurance for my house. Less than $30 a month for a 15% deductable, and earthquakes are really the only disaster I fear living in the NW. Someday I will upgrade my policy to the 10% deductable, and perhaps extend it to include all volcano-related incidents rather than just seismic activity generated by volcanos...

we live in a single storey stucco home about 50 miles from the san andreas fault and built in the 1920s and have no earthquake insurance...or life insurance

oh well

ps ca earthquake insurance is a bit more expensive since the insurance companies decided that they did not want to insure against them and the state created its own lousy insurance program

pps i was insured (rental) when the northridge quake hit...i was one of the few that had earthquake insurance...that was the quake that made the insurance companies want to get out of the earthquake business...it is also the only earthquake that i was ever injured in and my apartment building was condemned

I recommend looking into a company called GeoVera. They are the one's who cover my house, and it's affordable as I mentioned. Of course, being in SoCal you are probably considered more at risk than me in the Puget Sound region, even though it's the same damned fault line. Also, my house is 1976 rather than 1920s, so there's that factor, among others.

As for life insurance, I probably have way too much, as I get a term coverage through the military ($27 a month for $400k if I drop dead in uniform), a $1000 death benefit from the national guard (no premium, although I can pay one to upgrade the benefit), a universal life policy for active guard members (premium based upon the age I was when I took it out, and then I get standard policy benefits through the handler - Pan American), a whole life policy through the Knights of Columbus Catholic fraternity (who's company profits go to charity), and finally a policy I got roped into via a friend with Northwestern Mutual (they also manage my Roth IRA). The plus side of all of this is that the Pan American, Knights, and Northwestern ones all have a great cash value scale (the Knights and Pan American ones are cheap, because they are benefits for my affilitations).

For you Don, since you can't really benefit from a whole life policy, I recommend looking into the AARP's term life plans. That will at least give you an affordable option to leave something good for your relatives. The Knights gave my dad a whole life policy back in Dec. 2007 when he was approaching 61, but that is just one of those non-profit organizations at work.

If I learn this stuff, then perhaps I can work with the Knights as a paid agent in a future lifetime. I affiliate with enough of them throughout the course of my monthly activities. Also, my uncle Carl was an agent who got burned by the industry. By the time the Knights took him on, he wasn't much of an agent any more, so he had to move on to other things...

I recommend looking into a company called GeoVera. They are the one's who cover my house, and it's affordable as I mentioned. Of course, being in SoCal you are probably considered more at risk than me in the Puget Sound region, even though it's the same damned fault line. Also, my house is 1976 rather than 1920s, so there's that factor, among others.

As for life insurance, I probably have way too much, as I get a term coverage through the military ($27 a month for $400k if I drop dead in uniform), a $1000 death benefit from the national guard (no premium, although I can pay one to upgrade the benefit), a universal life policy for active guard members (premium based upon the age I was when I took it out, and then I get standard policy benefits through the handler - Pan American), a whole life policy through the Knights of Columbus Catholic fraternity (who's company profits go to charity), and finally a policy I got roped into via a friend with Northwestern Mutual (they also manage my Roth IRA). The plus side of all of this is that the Pan American, Knights, and Northwestern ones all have a great cash value scale (the Knights and Pan American ones are cheap, because they are benefits for my affilitations).

For you Don, since you can't really benefit from a whole life policy, I recommend looking into the AARP's term life plans. That will at least give you an affordable option to leave something good for your relatives. The Knights gave my dad a whole life policy back in Dec. 2007 when he was approaching 61, but that is just one of those non-profit organizations at work.

we own two houses outright and most of a third - two of which are in eastern washington (west richland) and since my father was in the navy during wwii, i am eligible to be insured by USAA, but thank you for the thoughts

the houses represent our retirement plan with an average net income of $2,400 a month (washington property taxes suck)

Yeah, you have to live here to experience the trade-off of no income tax. Oregon has typically worse taxes though. I think the people who have it made are the ones who live in Vancouver, WA and earn their income in this state. They can then drive a short ways over the state line and do their tax-free shopping in Portland.

How often do you get up here to the Tri Cities?

be careful what you wish for...you may get it, and is your well far enough from the nearest septic tank/cesspool leach field...do you have your water periodically tested, who knows what toxic waste is being dumped in your water table...

we live next door to vandenberg AFB and who knows what toxic materials may show up in our drinking water if it were not tested annually...by ca law

ps our house shakes like it were in an earthquake when they fire off the really big saturn missiles

oh well

Yeah.....not to mention we are like due South(about 30miles) of some of the biggest fracking areas in Pennsylvania...we have a Culligan system...but who knows?

Yeah, you have to live here to experience the trade-off of no income tax. Oregon has typically worse taxes though. I think the people who have it made are the ones who live in Vancouver, WA and earn their income in this state. They can then drive a short ways over the state line and do their tax-free shopping in Portland.

How often do you get up here to the Tri Cities?

we have two houses in west richland wa, and a trip to them is tax deductible

also, i have a sister in tacoma, wa

I stick to I-5. The only reason I ever go into the city now is because a lot of my fellow flight members live there, and so we occasionally have off-duty meet ups, and Tacoma winds up being the logical place to go.

I stick to I-5. The only reason I ever go into the city now is because a lot of my fellow flight members live there, and so we occasionally have off-duty meet ups, and Tacoma winds up being the logical place to go.

we take i5 now, but it did not yet exist when i was younger, besides we stop over in west richland to make the trip tax deductible

we take i5 to the hwy along the oregon side of the columbia, then back to the i5 - the part to and from west richland is the only part that is tax deductible (including the part of the 101 to 680 to 5 to the 30/84)

Back