For RB60, truly skilful shit!!

That is cool! And the part-off tool had to be sharp, both on the tip and the side, both need relief or the side would drag and snap. Brass is one of the easiest metals to machine.

I used a similar concept using a 4 jaw chuck running out of round (similar to removing one single jaw as shown there) and an offset center-drilled center to make an offset brake cam some years ago.
My boss was so impressed, he had 4 other worn cams welded up and had me repair them. Also, the lathe is the only machine that can reproduce itself.

Thanks for showing!

That is cool! And the part-off tool had to be sharp, both on the tip and the side, both need relief or the side would drag and snap. Brass is one of the easiest metals to machine.

I used a similar concept using a 4 jaw chuck running out of round (similar to removing one single jaw as shown there) and an offset center-drilled center to make an offset brake cam some years ago.
My boss was so impressed, he had 4 other worn cams welded up and had me repair them. Also, the lathe is the only machine that can reproduce itself.

Thanks for showing!

You're welcome!

You're welcome!

The downside of machining brass is that, if you have more than 1 to 1.5 deg. relief in the tool, it pulls the tool into work piece. That ain't good. That ain't good at all.
With the right speed, feed, depth of cut and HSS tooling, you can make an accurate mirror-like finish, like it's been buffed. Turn it dry, but be careful of the heat.
I forgot, impregnated brass is easier. It won't turn quite as nice of finish. You can feed it faster, but more flying chips.

You ought to see what I can do with 316 stainless :)

Back