Ford Focus Electric certified at 105 MPG

• Thread starter Thread starter Guns Guns Guns
  • Start date Start date
The 2012 Ford Focus Electric has now been certified as the United States' most fuel-efficient five-passenger vehicle, with a whopping combined 105 MPG rating.

Specifically, the Ford Focus Electric sports a 110 MPG equivalent (MPGe) rating on city streets and 99 MPGe on the highway.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401113,00.asp?google_editors_picks=true

It has been found that a car will travel approximately 957 miles on a single gallon of petrol going down hill. The same car will travel at 30 miles to the gallon when travelling up hill. This will average out at about 493 mpg.
So-o-o-o, All shops should, henceforth be built at the bottom of hills and all residential areas should be built at the top of hills. Where there are no hills they can be made with a few Cat D10s and give work to the unemployed.
Governments seem incapable of thinking things through, don't they?

$40,000 for a focus, let me guess ford made a few hundred?

Funny that people who would think nothing of paying 40K for a Cadillac or Corvette balk at the price of alternative-fuel cars.

Funny that people who would think nothing of paying 40K for a Cadillac or Corvette balk at the price of alternative-fuel cars.

Mostly because they keep making them suck. It's a Focus, not a Cadillac. If you are going to make them suck you are going to have to sell them at a price people are willing to pay for them...

They don't balk at the price of a Tesla, because it doesn't suck. If I could afford one without the stretch it would take now I would buy a Tesla Roadster...

Uhhh....I don't think I'd be comparing a Ford Focus or Chevy Volt to a Cadillac SVT! LOL

If you can afford $40,000 for a car then you're probably not tooooo concerned about gas mileage.

Mostly because they keep making them suck. It's a Focus, not a Cadillac. If you are going to make them suck you are going to have to sell them at a price people are willing to pay for them...

They don't balk at the price of a Tesla, because it doesn't suck. If I could afford one without the stretch it would take now I would buy a Tesla Roadster...
I had a chance last year to go to work at Tessla's California plant. I was even asked if I was interested in the position by our management. I was really bummed that I couldn't. I would have really enjoyed that project.

I had a chance last year to go to work at Tessla's California plant. I was even asked if I was interested in the position by our management. I was really bummed that I couldn't. I would have really enjoyed that project.

Wow, that would rock! I wonder if you'd get a discount?...

Wow, that would rock! I wonder if you'd get a discount?...
LMAO! I asked that very question and was told "yes they would give a discount" but that's an inside joke as no way could I afford one even with a discount. Their facility is located in a beautiful area of northern California too. If it wasn't for family issues I'd have been all over that project.

Uhhh....I don't think I'd be comparing a Ford Focus or Chevy Volt to a Cadillac SVT! LOL

If you can afford $40,000 for a car then you're probably not tooooo concerned about gas mileage.

You might be surprised about the comparison between a Volt and an SVT. They are both built by the same company.

You might be surprised about the comparison between a Volt and an SVT. They are both built by the same company.
Uhhhmmmm I seriously doubt the Volt compares to the SVT in the peformance department. I'm just saying that making that kind of comparision is silly.

I'm all for developing electric/gas vehicles like the Volt, Leaf and Focus but the problem right now is that for an economy sub-compact they are to highly priced and the technology not mature enough to sell the public on it's reliability. Time, experience and R&D should fix that but even with the tax rebate, $40,000 is beyond the means of most working class people for a vehicle and even with the rebate you'd have to dirve the vehicle 6 or 7 years just to break even on fuel savings over the greater purchasing cost vs the cost of your average subcompact (~ $20,000). In due time I'm sure that this will come but were not their yet and there's a lot of developmental work to be done.

Back