Fordham Baseball Player Goes Airborn

Wow, that was freaking awesome.

What was the other manager arguing?

My guess is he's trying to argue that the runner's acrobatics technically took him out of the baseline. Its the only argument that comes to mind. In his defense, its basically the manager's job to argue these types of situations with the umps.

My guess is he's trying to argue that the runner's acrobatics technically took him out of the baseline. Its the only argument that comes to mind. In his defense, its basically the manager's job to argue these types of situations with the umps.
How the fuck does that take him out of the baseline? A runner is in the air half the time, both feet off the ground. This is no different, just a bit higher.

I think he was arguing that the catcher touched him by raising his glove, however watching the video it was apparent that he started to reach up, but before he touched the guy he freaked and ducked and never touched him.

How the fuck does that take him out of the baseline? A runner is in the air half the time, both feet off the ground. This is no different, just a bit higher.

Pretty much the fact that he landed on the opposite side of home, with his hands on the plate. Is he in or out of fair play at that position? I think he's in, because this is a play at the plate concerning a runner. With batters, there are all sorts of interesting issues, like whether a bunted ball can touch them while they are still in the box (I believe its okay, but the ball is then considered foul), and whether a ball that bounces off the plate is in fair play.

Pretty much the fact that he landed on the opposite side of home, with his hands on the plate. Is he in or out of fair play at that position? I think he's in, because this is a play at the plate concerning a runner. With batters, there are all sorts of interesting issues, like whether a bunted ball can touch them while they are still in the box (I believe its okay, but the ball is then considered foul), and whether a ball that bounces off the plate is in fair play.
Runners routinely cross over the plate and hit the back portion with their foot. This guy just did it with his hand. Also runners will try and get around a catcher by getting to the far side of the lane then pass the plate and hit it with their hand at the last second, then called safe. This guy was definitely safe.

Runners routinely cross over the plate and hit the back portion with their foot. This guy just did it with his hand. Also runners will try and get around a catcher by getting to the far side of the lane then pass the plate and hit it with their hand at the last second, then called safe. This guy was definitely safe.

Yes, I agree with you. The problem is, those incidents (although trying to run around the catcher will generally knock you out of the baseline) occur all the time, and have precedent to back them up. The manager was clearly jumping on the chance to attack a play that is unique.

Back