Four senior House Democrats say Biden should leave presidential race, sources say

Earl

Four senior House Democrats say Biden should leave presidential race, sources say

By Ed O'Keefe, Nikole Killion, Kaia Hubbard

Updated on: July 8, 2024 / 3:43 AM EDT / CBS News

Washington — Several senior House Democrats said Sunday that President Biden should end his reelection campaign in the wake of his recent debate performance, multiple people tell CBS News.

Reps. Jerry Nadler of New York, Mark Takano of California, Adam Smith of Washington and Joe Morelle of New York said Sunday during a Zoom meeting with House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries that Mr. Biden should leave the race, according to a person on the call and three other people familiar with the meeting.

Reps. Jim Himes of Connecticut, Don Beyer of Virginia and Jamie Raskin of Maryland also expressed skepticism of the president's electoral chances, the member on the call and a person familiar with the meeting said.

Beyer's office on Sunday reaffirmed his support for Mr. Biden, despite initial reports suggesting that he was part of the group calling on the president to step aside. After news of the call was published, Beyer also issued a statement saying he supported Mr. Biden.

"I support the Biden-Harris ticket, and look forward to helping defeat Donald Trump in November," Beyer said. "I was proud to host an event this week in Northern Virginia with the President, and will continue doing all I can to support the Biden-Harris campaign in Virginia and across the country."

CBS News has reached out to all the members who sources say either expressed reservations about the president's chances or said he should withdraw from the race.

A spokesperson for Jeffries declined to comment on the call.

Rep. Susan Wild, who represents Pennsylvania's 7th Congressional District, said in a statement that she "expressed the same concerns that Americans across the country are grappling with, about President Biden's electability at the top of the ticket."

Back