Fox News reports on 93 year old woman

• Thread starter Thread starter Guns Guns Guns
  • Start date Start date
G

Guns Guns Guns

veitch.jpg

93-year-old Rachel Veitch is retiring her 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente after more than 576,000 miles on the road.

"I am legally blind, so I can no longer drive," Veitch told Fox.

"They don't have to take it away, I would not dream of driving that car again."

The car itself is fine, but Veitch has macular degeneration in both her eyes, making her legally blind.

After running a red light in March, she decided to voluntarily give up the vehicle she's been driving since Lyndon Johnson occupied the White House.

"I have taken it in stride," she said. "I don't have cancer, I don't have Lou Gehrig's disease. I am lucky."

Vietch is fond of noting that the car has outlasted three marriages.

Mechanically, it's worn through three sets of shocks, 18 batteries and eight mufflers.

Veitch bought the car in February 1964 for just $3,289.

She credits the longevity to a "near-obsessive" approach to the car's maintenance.

"I've never been a destructive person and I've just taken care of everything, except my husbands," she told Fox News.

Veitch, who appeared with the vehicle on an August 2010 episode of the "Tonight Show," said she would be happy to sell the vehicle to host Jay Leno, a known car aficionado. She's not sure if Leno would be interested.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/93-old-florida-woman-retires-her-64-mercury-204007316.html

Back