Funeral in Wasilla

Phantasmal

Harris/Walz
Staff member
I attended a funeral in Wasilla yesterday at the Palmer Elks Club, I was confused from the start, the Palmer chapter having their facility in Wasilla.

It was a casual affair, which in Wasilla means sweat pants and polar fleece camouflage jackets or hunting vests.

It was a smoke friendly facility and I swear, half the people were smoking, inside the building. I have not experienced people smoking inside a building in ten years, at least. It was like stepping back in time, people smoking with a baby in their arms.

We were asked to step outside where a couple of women lit up, immediately. They were standing right in front of the military Honor Guard, who had to ask them to clear a path so they could proceed to the "remains" which were being delivered by the widow and several of the family and friends on four wheelers.

The three gun salute and flag folding were very touching. I had not seen one since 1970.

Wasilla is only 30 minutes from Anchorage, but it is a whole different culture. I was fascinated.

Back