Gallery visit

Thorn

Well, I'm off at lunchtime to view the space in a local gallery. They contacted me (!!!) and asked me to be a featured artist in the next Art Trail -- apparently the gallery owner had purchased a piece I'd donated for a wildlife center fundraiser and liked it. Hope I can get everything presentable (our standards tend to change over time, I've found) in time for next week.

I am a member of the local art guild here. The only guy in the group, guess who gets to set up the displays :D

This show will be fine art photography; I do color, B/W and Polaroid emulsion transfers -- also I print all my own work and frame everything myself. I do quite a variety of stuff, in addition to fine art; wildlife, landscapes, pet photography, and was the track photographer at the local dragstrip for 3 years (my husband races; now he needs me as pit crew and that's fun). I've done a couple of weddings for friends, but wouldn't pursue that at all.

I also do some airbrush illustration, drawing and watercolor, but that won't be part of the exhibit this time around. I haven't yet done enough to be willing to part with it. :)

usc -- some of my favorite nature/landscape work comes from KY; we stay by the Barren R. at Beech Bend and it never disappoints.

Thorn,
You need to visit the Red river gorge/Natural bridge area of KY.
I am still fighting with my pasche air brush.....

Thorn,
You need to visit the Red river gorge/Natural bridge area of KY.
I am still fighting with my pasche air brush.....

Try Iwata. I have a couple of them, and will get another to do racing helmets. I'm going to practice on those cheap big beachballs or whatever that you can get at the grocery store. Also, what brand of paint do you use? That, along with insufficient air pressure, might lead to a LOT of frustration that you don't need!

Until recently I was able to get Golden airbrush liquid locally, but will go back to Dixie Art and Airbrush (they have a good website) for their brand, I think it's Comtrex. I like that better anyway. For automotive, I'll go to Coast Airbrush; they seem to have a better product line for that and their staff are really knowledgeable about the specifics for automotive.

Thanks for the coast airbrush info. I am dealilng in automotive finishes and was just using regular stuff, thinning and such of course.

I have an assortment of fabric paints as well, I forget the name though..something tex...

Are Iwata all that much better ? or is it mostly a matter of setup and skill ? I have watched people do wonderful stuff with Pasche and Badger brushes...

Perhaps I should just open one of those airbrush tan salons :D
I could probably get into my job then....

Thanks for the coast airbrush info. I am dealilng in automotive finishes and was just using regular stuff, thinning and such of course.

I have an assortment of fabric paints as well, I forget the name though..something tex...

Are Iwata all that much better ? or is it mostly a matter of setup and skill ? I have watched people do wonderful stuff with Pasche and Badger brushes...

Perhaps I should just open one of those airbrush tan salons :D
I could probably get into my job then....

I got some good literature there, too, on the use of automotive techniques, finishes, etc..

The t-shirt paint a lot of people use is Createx.

I just checked the Dixie Art site: http://www.dixieart.com/ and the paint I like is ComArt (Medea) for illustration. (Well, I was close!)

My airbrush instructor swears by Iwata, and I have to say I'm very, very pleased with it. I also clean out really well with distilled water between colors and use a good airbrush cleaner at various times during a session, depending on how long I'm working at it. You also have to adjust your air pressure according to the thickness of the paint you're using; you might need even different compressors for different applications. I have a nice little 1/8 HP compressor for illustration, but need something a bit stronger for fabric (I want to do my own backdrops), and definitely will have to go up to about 1/6 HP or even 1/4, for automotive.

Yes Createx is it. All I have done so far with that is some halloween costume stuff, it turned out ok. Thanks for the link and the product name, I will check it out. On the air pressure I had figured that out and I have read up on the use of the airbrush. I Just need to spend quite a bit of time on it to develop the skill I think.
I have a good air filter/dryer off of a 6 hp compressor so air is not a problem.
I am also restoring an old tractor and am afraid I am getting to like this painting too much and will soon have to build myself a paint stall in the barn....More work and money....

Yes Createx is it. All I have done so far with that is some halloween costume stuff, it turned out ok. Thanks for the link and the product name, I will check it out. On the air pressure I had figured that out and I have read up on the use of the airbrush. I Just need to spend quite a bit of time on it to develop the skill I think.
I have a good air filter/dryer off of a 6 hp compressor so air is not a problem.
I am also restoring an old tractor and am afraid I am getting to like this painting too much and will soon have to build myself a paint stall in the barn....More work and money....

I know -- yet it seems to be about the only way to go. Right now I use a bathroom (it also becomes a darkroom when required) and tape sheets of plastic everywhere. it has the advantage of having good air circulation and the fan draws off much of the toxic fumes. I'm going to need another space for the automotive, though. Besides, I'm kind of tired of spending so much time in setup and breakdown (to protect the room and block off light) that cuts into my work time.

Back