General who Investigated Abu Ghraib alleges cover-up

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
Abu Ghraib Investigator Details Pentagon Cover-Up: ‘I Thought I Was In The Mafia’ »

In a New Yorker article today, Seymour Hersh interviews Army Major General Antonio M. Taguba, who led the Pentagon’s investigation into the abuses at Abu Ghraib. This article is the first time that Taguba has publicly spoken out about the scandal, revealing that the Pentagon forced him to retire early because of his aggressive pursuit of the issue.

Taguba also reveals that he believed high-level military officials, including Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, knew about the abuses but feigned ignorance, putting all the blame on low-level soldiers. Key highlights:

Taguba was threatened by Gen. John Abizaid:

A few weeks after his report became public, Taguba, who was still in Kuwait, was in the back seat of a Mercedes sedan with Abizaid. … Abizaid turned to Taguba and issued a quiet warning: “You and your report will be investigated.”

“I wasn’t angry about what he said but disappointed that he would say that to me,” Taguba said. “I’d been in the Army thirty-two years by then, and it was the first time that I thought I was in the Mafia.“

White House “didn’t think the photographs were that bad”:

The former senior intelligence official said that when the images of Abu Ghraib were published, there were some in the Pentagon and the White House who “didn’t think the photographs were that bad” — in that they put the focus on enlisted soldiers, rather than on secret task-force operations. Referring to the task-force members, he said, “Guys on the inside ask me, ‘What’s the difference between shooting a guy on the street, or in his bed, or in a prison?’” A Pentagon consultant on the war on terror also said that the “basic strategy was ‘prosecute the kids in the photographs but protect the big picture.’”

Rummy and the Petagon Brass were lying:

General Taguba: "He’s (Rummy) trying to acquit himself, and a lot of people are lying to protect themselves.”

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/06/25/070625fa_fact_hersh?printable=true

Interesting, but much ado about a bunch of college pranks.
If this is so I am sure glad I did not go to college :)

yeah, that "college pranks" excuse was one of the most insulting things that pill popper Limbaugh ever came up with.

Abu Ghraib Investigator Details Pentagon Cover-Up: ‘I Thought I Was In The Mafia’ »

In a New Yorker article today, Seymour Hersh interviews Army Major General Antonio M. Taguba, who led the Pentagon’s investigation into the abuses at Abu Ghraib. This article is the first time that Taguba has publicly spoken out about the scandal, revealing that the Pentagon forced him to retire early because of his aggressive pursuit of the issue.

Taguba also reveals that he believed high-level military officials, including Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, knew about the abuses but feigned ignorance, putting all the blame on low-level soldiers. Key highlights:

Taguba was threatened by Gen. John Abizaid:

White House “didn’t think the photographs were that bad”:

Rummy and the Petagon Brass were lying:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/06/25/070625fa_fact_hersh?printable=true

Nice. I still haven't read the whole article, but I will do it today. This is really beyond outrageous. You see? They all belong in federal prisons.

Nice. I still haven't read the whole article, but I will do it today. This is really beyond outrageous. You see? They all belong in federal prisons.

Is it just me, or does lying about bl*jobs seem a tad quaint these days? ;)

well considering all the gay eascorts, some acting as (presspeople), gay massages and drugs, etc yep a BJ seems a bit under the radar now-a-days.

well considering all the gay eascorts, some acting as (presspeople), gay massages and drugs, etc yep a BJ seems a bit under the radar now-a-days.

Bush's number two man at Interior Department was just convicted in the abramoff scandal. The dude supposedly had four mistresses.

Clinton's escapades look pretty tame these days!

Bush's number two man at Interior Department was just convicted in the abramoff scandal. The dude supposedly had four mistresses.

Clinton's escapades look pretty tame these days!

but all the Republicans problems are the demoncrats fault!

I just read the whole thing. An amazing story. I bet that someday, a movie is going to be made about this story in the New Yorker.

And, he should be awarded a medal.

I just read the whole thing. An amazing story. I bet that someday, a movie is going to be made about this story in the New Yorker.

And, he should be awarded a medal.

An amazing story isn't it? Man, Sy Hersch is one of the best journalists ever.

And that General Taguba: what an honorable man - he could have played along, and save his career. He chose to follow the facts and tell the truth.

I espcially loved his ending quote:

"From the moment a soldier enlists, we inculcate loyalty, duty, honor, integrity, and selfless service,” Taguba said. “And yet when we get to the senior-officer level we forget those values. I know that my peers in the Army will be mad at me for speaking out, but the fact is that we violated the laws of land warfare in Abu Ghraib. We violated the tenets of the Geneva Convention. We violated our own principles and we violated the core of our military values. The stress of combat is not an excuse, and I believe, even today, that those civilian and military leaders responsible should be held accountable."

An amazing story isn't it? Man, Sy Hersch is one of the best journalists ever.

And that General Taguba: what an honorable man - he could have played along, and save his career. He chose to follow the facts and tell the truth.

I espcially loved his ending quote:

"From the moment a soldier enlists, we inculcate loyalty, duty, honor, integrity, and selfless service,” Taguba said. “And yet when we get to the senior-officer level we forget those values. I know that my peers in the Army will be mad at me for speaking out, but the fact is that we violated the laws of land warfare in Abu Ghraib. We violated the tenets of the Geneva Convention. We violated our own principles and we violated the core of our military values. The stress of combat is not an excuse, and I believe, even today, that those civilian and military leaders responsible should be held accountable."

I agree with him and believe they should still be prosecuted. I think that it would be very difficult to discredit General Taguba with the usual swiftboating that we see whenever someone exposes the liars and criminals in this admistration. He should certainly be a witness.

Some coverup, he testified before Congress. Sheesh. Whiner profiled by Hersh the self-proclaimed liar.

The coverup was that only "THE TROOPS" (who are sacred to R's until they stop being something for the cowards to hide behind), were held responsible. No one up the chain of command or in a position of civilian authority was held responsible. It was Alberto goonzales who wrote the now infamous torture memo remember, but he's not in jail. the little guy is in jail. The guys you people "support" when you put your bumperstickers on your cars.

And wtf does your link about Hersh (which I haven't read) have to do with General Taguba's on the record interview? Couldn't find anything to slime the General with?

Well, maybe Drudge will have something up later today.

The coverup was that only "THE TROOPS" (who are sacred to R's until they stop being something for the cowards to hide behind), were held responsible. No one up the chain of command or in a position of civilian authority was held responsible. It was Alberto goonzales who wrote the now infamous torture memo remember, but he's not in jail. the little guy is in jail. The guys you people "support" when you put your bumperstickers on your cars.

And wtf does your link about Hersh (which I haven't read) have to do with General Taguba's on the record interview? Couldn't find anything to slime the General with?

Well, maybe Drudge will have something up later today.

Of course you didn't read, why take a chance?

Of course you didn't read, why take a chance?

Since it has nothing to do with General Tabuga, who gave this interview on record, I have no need to. It's a red herring and a poor attempt at distraction.

If you can slime the General, let's see you do it.

His words stand, and with his life-long record, I'm going to take his on the record word for it.

Interesting, but much ado about a bunch of college pranks.
If this is so I am sure glad I did not go to college :)
Whatis it that you consider "College Pranks? I see no mention of college pranks, or are you hust saying that generically? (for KICKS)

I read the hirsch liar link. I would think the republicans would love that style, just like the republicans style. Say anything at all not under oath.
I guess Hirsch comes under the political exemption from the truth in avertising law for speeches.

Back