GIMP 2.8 has just been released

At least they've finally dropped that incredibly retarded split window interface. Photoshop will always be the best, of course. But the problem I have with Photoshop is that, even pirated, it's simply too fucking huge for me to bother downloading. I honestly have no idea why all these commercial programs seem to think they need gigabytes. There is not a gigabyte of difference between photoshop and GIMP. What on Earth could be taking up all that space?

At least they've finally dropped that incredibly retarded split window interface. Photoshop will always be the best, of course. But the problem I have with Photoshop is that, even pirated, it's simply too fucking huge for me to bother downloading. I honestly have no idea why all these commercial programs seem to think they need gigabytes. There is not a gigabyte of difference between photoshop and GIMP. What on Earth could be taking up all that space?

That is a damn fine question, Photoshop has a few esoteric features which might be used very infrequently but why it is so bloated is beyond me. As to the single window interface, there were unofficial enhancements before GIMP 2.8 but they stopped being supported and were flaky anyway.

That is a damn fine question, Photoshop has a few esoteric features which might be used very infrequently but why it is so bloated is beyond me. As to the single window interface, there were unofficial enhancements before GIMP 2.8 but they stopped being supported and were flaky anyway.

This is the case when comparing a lot of open source and commercial programs - Visual Studio, Microsoft Office, 3DS Max, etc... are all several gigabytes in size. I mean, I do generally think they're an overall higher quality platform, but there's little in there to justify it being several times the size, unless they have a few movies hidden somewhere in a random file.

This is the case when comparing a lot of open source and commercial programs - Visual Studio, Microsoft Office, 3DS Max, etc... are all several gigabytes in size. I mean, I do generally think they're an overall higher quality platform, but there's little in there to justify it being several times the size, unless they have a few movies hidden somewhere in a random file.

It might just be that the likes of Adobe et al feel they can only justify the outrageous prices by offering quantity over quality. A more prosaic explanation may be that they are just very badly designed.

Back