Giving Linux another try

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
After taking a look around and realizing practically all of the software I use these days is multiplatform, I decided to give Linux another chance. I chose Ubuntu, rather than Tom's prized Kubuntu, because I think the Gnome interface is just cleaner. It actually seems to have a lot of new features, which may do away with one of my primary criticisms of the open source movement; that all it did was attempt to clone proprietary software poorly long after the fact.

Oh Jesus. A fucking Super Mario ROM hack is straining my dual core processor in flash. This is pathetic. I think this will be the death kneel of my linux experience.

1. I have an intel non-GPU (not going to call it a GPU because it doesn't have hardware T&L).

2. It's 2D and not hardware accelerated. Is there some specific conflict with Nvidia CPU's?

3. It's completely smooth in Windows. This tell me that flash support sucks in this operating system, which is going to make things a headache.

Last edited:
1. I have an intel non-GPU (not going to call it a GPU because it doesn't have hardware T&L).

2. It's 2D and not hardware accelerated. Is there some specific conflict with Nvidia CPU's?

3. It's completely smooth in Windows. This tell me that flash support sucks in this operating system, which is going to make things a headache.

I only asked because unlike ATI, Nvidia drivers are proprietary and especially if you are using 3D may need to be updated to the latest version.

As to the previous problem, I think linux just scaled my CPU frequencies to 800 MHZ or something (still about 50% faster than the IPad, BTW) while I was playing the game.

As to the previous problem, I think linux just scaled my CPU frequencies to 800 MHZ or something (still about 50% faster than the IPad, BTW) while I was playing the game.

I am glad that you've put aside your prejudices and seen the light. I must say though that I prefer KDE 4 to Gnome 2 but then again Gnome 3 will be out in a few months so we shall see.

I don't know how you do your updates, but I recommend using the following command from the console.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I would also recommend using Linux Mint which is based on (K)Ubuntu, but is more conservative when it comes to upgrades and is more thoroughly tested. I have a triple boot comprising Mint, Kubuntu and XP. Mint have a policy of having all the restricted extras, Medibuntu repository and codecs enabled on the install disk which is a definite boon for a newbie. Linux Mint 9 aka Isadora has just been released, the KDE version will follow shortly.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Last edited:
I am glad that you've put aside your prejudices and seen the light. I must say though that I prefer KDE 4 to Gnome 2 but then again Gnome 3 will be out in a few months so we shall see.

Tis often that I criticize that which I love the most when it dissapoints me. Anyway, my criticisms were all pretty valid.

I don't know how you do your updates, but I recommend using the following command from the console.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I would also recommend using Linux Mint which is based on (K)Ubuntu, but is more conservative when it comes to upgrades and is more thoroughly tested. I have a triple boot comprising Mint, Kubuntu and XP. Mint have a policy of having all the restricted extras, Medibuntu repository and codecs enabled on the install disk which is a definite boon for a newbie. Linux Mint 9 aka Isadora has just been released, the KDE version will follow shortly.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

I've used Mint before, but I'm pretty happy with Ubuntu right now anyway. I'll probably upgrade to Gnome 3 when it comes out (although I'm not sure if I'll have to format the partition to avoid conflict; on my first install of linux I installed Gnome, KDE, and XFCE and it became horrendously unstable).

I've used Mint before, but I'm pretty happy with Ubuntu right now anyway. I'll probably upgrade to Gnome 3 when it comes out (although I'm not sure if I'll have to format the partition to avoid conflict; on my first install of linux I installed Gnome, KDE, and XFCE and it became horrendously unstable).

No, the updates will come down from the repositories once they are available and you do a dist-upgrade.

Last edited:
Back