Global warming concerns hit coastal real estate

uscitizen

Villified User
ENGLAND, FOR ONE, SAYS SOME AREAS CAN'T BE SAVED
By Thomas Wagner
ASSOCIATED PRESS

HAPPISBURGH, England - A 12-bedroom guest house, with beautiful views of the North Sea, a lighthouse and sandy beaches, sounds like prime real estate.

But Cliff House is nearly worthless.

The offshore wooden barrier that once protected the sand and clay cliffs of this stretch of eastern English coast has broken apart, and the government has decided that with the expected rise in sea levels and storm surges that experts attribute to global warming, some vulnerable coastal areas are no longer worth defending.

"The next big storm could take us away," said Diana Wrightson, one of two elderly women who bought Cliff House 26 years ago, assuming the coastline would always be protected.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/16778982.htm

We seriously should take a hint from this with regard to the plans to rebuild New Orleans. Rich in history and tradition though it is, it just shouldn't be rebuilt.

ENGLAND, FOR ONE, SAYS SOME AREAS CAN'T BE SAVED
By Thomas Wagner
ASSOCIATED PRESS

HAPPISBURGH, England - A 12-bedroom guest house, with beautiful views of the North Sea, a lighthouse and sandy beaches, sounds like prime real estate.

But Cliff House is nearly worthless.

The offshore wooden barrier that once protected the sand and clay cliffs of this stretch of eastern English coast has broken apart, and the government has decided that with the expected rise in sea levels and storm surges that experts attribute to global warming, some vulnerable coastal areas are no longer worth defending.

"The next big storm could take us away," said Diana Wrightson, one of two elderly women who bought Cliff House 26 years ago, assuming the coastline would always be protected.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/16778982.htm

I hope coastal real estate prices crater. There a few houses I've got my eye on, with spectaculor views of the pacific ocean.

Back