good article on blair

"When we removed the Taliban and Saddam Hussein," Blair told Congress in 2003, "this was not imperialism. For these oppressed people, it was their liberation." But we have learned the hard way that it is not for the West to say what is imperialism and what is liberation. When you invade someone else's country and turn his world upside down, good intentions are not enough."

You know, I was out last night and had quite a few apple martinis. I still feel like I'm buzzed and can't really get up for reading the whole article.

But what is he doing, kind of backing off now? Almost like saying he was wrong on Iraq?

Darla... It is really more of an article on why we need politicians like Blair. It is looking at his entire tenure and not just on the Iraq war. I posted the quote on Iraq as it is quite telling to me on just how good a leader he is. I don't know if he is backing off or just once again telling us what he is really thinking... that he went in with the best of intentions, but that "best of intentions" doesn't always make you right.

Appletinis huh? When you um... feel more up to it... revisit this... I think you would like it... If Bush were half the man Blair was, perhaps we wouldn't have such a divisive country right now.

Darla... It is really more of an article on why we need politicians like Blair. It is looking at his entire tenure and not just on the Iraq war. I posted the quote on Iraq as it is quite telling to me on just how good a leader he is. I don't know if he is backing off or just once again telling us what he is really thinking... that he went in with the best of intentions, but that "best of intentions" doesn't always make you right.

Appletinis huh? When you um... feel more up to it... revisit this... I think you would like it... If Bush were half the man Blair was, perhaps we wouldn't have such a divisive country right now.

I bookmarked it. I will read it over the weekend.

Blair's legacy will mostly be one of disappointment.

When he came to power he was our great hope, Britain's Kennedy, sent down from heaven to deliver us from the brutality of Thatcherism and Conservatism.

But gradually, step by step, he has let the British people down until he is seen as little more than a shyster. From the donations to the party for exemptions from cigarette advertising bans, privatisation of the NHS, cash for peerages, massive totalitarian measures that make us the most watched people on Earth, stripping the civil service and underfunding of the Armed Forces were bad enough, but his response to terrorism, especially his giving the Iraq debacle a degree of respectability and dragging us into it have all far outweighed the successes, namely finally putting a cap on 800 years of violence in Ireland....

The question is, will he be seen in a better light than Thatcher, or, if possible, worse....

AOI... good to hear the perspective from across the pond. I suppose our views of Blair differ based on our own personal biases as well. I liked Thatcher. I thought she was a great leader. I think Blair is as well. It doesn't mean he was any less wrong about Iraq, but overall I think your country is better off for having him at the helm. Just my personal opinion. (Obviously you see more of the day to day from your government than I do sitting across the pond.)

When he came to power he was our great hope, Britain's Kennedy, sent down from heaven to deliver us from the brutality of Thatcherism and Conservatism.

But gradually, step by step, he has let the British people down until he is seen as little more than a shyster. From the donations to the party for exemptions from cigarette advertising bans, privatisation of the NHS, cash for peerages, massive totalitarian measures that make us the most watched people on Earth, stripping the civil service and underfunding of the Armed Forces were bad enough, but his response to terrorism, especially his giving the Iraq debacle a degree of respectability and dragging us into it have all far outweighed the successes, namely finally putting a cap on 800 years of violence in Ireland....

The question is, will he be seen in a better light than Thatcher, or, if possible, worse....
Hmm. Sounds like he's more your LBJ than your JFK.

AOI, what do you think of Brown? Are you expecting any changes with him at the helm?

"AOI, what do you think of Brown? Are you expecting any changes with him at the helm?"

AOI...I second the request for your opinion on Brown....

Back