Good deal or not?

Mac users are a loyal bunch. I haven't spent time using one in 10+ years, so I couldn't say they are better or worse.

But some friends of mine swear they are a better system. And those friends seem to have less operating system issues or virus problems.

macs are way, way overprices for what you get

the intel i7 chip is the best out there, get that and windows 7 is far superior to xp

my mom got and she spends a lot of money on it and has had to get lessons just to learn how to use it because its so different from a pc...i hate the thing, she paid 2400 for it, you could get a bentley pc for that price

Mac users are a loyal bunch. I haven't spent time using one in 10+ years, so I couldn't say they are better or worse.

But some friends of mine swear they are a better system. And those friends seem to have less operating system issues or virus problems.

That's what my friends tell me too. My question is, is the used system I found a good one, and is it a good system for me to build on switching over from PC?

My current PC is ancient and tired and ready to bite the proverbial dust. I have no need for super-duper geekoid gaming. I do like to upload videos and pictures etc.

the intel i7 chip is the best out there, get that and windows 7 is far superior to xp

my mom got and she spends a lot of money on it and has had to get lessons just to learn how to use it because its so different from a pc...i hate the thing, she paid 2400 for it, you could get a bentley pc for that price

Actually for what's out there this used iMAC is a great deal price wise. Not knowing a lot about operating systems, I was told that the OS-x is a superior system? I know it will take some getting used to and I'll have to buy some new software...but with a buy in price like this used one, it sounds reasonable?

Oh yeah and on the cost comparisons

this is false it's a common misconception that's done to fucking death. it's not true. I don't feel like digging up all the links right now though to shove in your face. not true.

ice dancer I didn't look at that page in detail just did a quick glance. I'm not sure if it's a "good deal" but I don't think you are getting gouged either. If you want a refurbished mac you aren't going to really ever find anything under 400 dollars anyway. Operating system is a few years old but you can always upgrade. I would also want more ram

ice dancer I didn't look at that page in detail just did a quick glance. I'm not sure if it's a "good deal" but I don't think you are getting gouged either. If you want a refurbished mac you aren't going to really ever find anything under 400 dollars anyway. Operating system is a few years old but you can always upgrade. I would also want more ram

So this iMAC supports up to 2 GB of RAM is that enough? I take it you are a MAC user...was it hard to make the transition from PC with regards to navigating the different software platforms? Assuming that is you used to use PC.

:-/

Weird that it says it only supports 2 gigabytes. I'd think a 64-bit processor would support a ridiculous amount of RAM. Maybe it's hardcoded in BIOS? With Windows 7 or Vista I'd want at least 2 GB, and I'd assume that it'd be the same way with MAC's. At 2GB's everything should run smoothly with a desktop user.

The most RAM I've EVER used was 3.2 GB running Starcraft II, which is a modern game with lots of requirements. You probably aren't going to be pushing the ceiling with anything else besides video editing software. Just booting the computer with nothing going on takes 1.2 GB.

ATI Radeon X1600 graphics w/128 MB memory

This is actually an alright video card (alright in comparison to all the other shit that's usually shipped with entry level PC's, that is). I'd cut it to save money. You don't even need a GPU.

this is false it's a common misconception that's done to fucking death. it's not true. I don't feel like digging up all the links right now though to shove in your face. not true.

it is true

put up any mac and i will kick its ass with any pc...you get more for your money with a pc

that is factual

I have several friends who say I should go to MAC from PC.

Is this a good deal for making the switch?
I learned on Apple desktops in college. My first computer at work was the old IBM PC AT or XT. When I got the chance to buy my own I went Mac. Great computer, but no software for engineering. Plus it couldn't link to the old company network. Nevertheless, about 1/2 of us guys had them.

I moved around a bit and always had problems integrating with the rest of the engineering community. I finally went PC in 1999, and that, plus AutoCad, was one of the hardest moves ever. But i was worth it.

Probably not such a big deal anymore, but it won't be a small one either.

If it's a MAC, you're getting shafted. Unless you like your hardware being held hostage to a single company.

I'm using a 4 yo Mac mini and it cost about the same as a comparable PC when I bought it. No complaints. I find it's GRU a bit easier to get around on then a PC. The major down side of a Mac is that there are some apps that only run on a PC or you have to get conversion software to run the app on a Mac....but that doesn't happen often.

For personal computing I prefer my Mac. For work related purposes I prefer a PC cause about 99% of the people you interact with will be using a PC too.

Back