Google Motors

Timshel

http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/09/go...eed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Techcrunch+(TechCrunch)

It all makes sense now.

At our TechCrunch Disrupt event a couple weeks ago in San Francisco, Google CEO Eric Schmidt took the stage to give an impressive speech across a wide range of topics. But the most interesting thing he had to say what about automobiles. “It’s a bug that cars were invented before computers,” he said. “Your car should drive itself. It just makes sense.”

Well guess what? Surprise, surprise: Google has been working on a secret project to enable cars to do just that.

Oh great, first they let rednecks get drivers licenses then they permit women drivers. Now were going to have computer drivers? It's just not going to be safe on the road anymore.

If computers cars have lower rates of accidents than human drivers, then I'm perfectly fine with them. Of course, they're going to have to perfect it for a long time, because if there's even one bug the media is going to loudmouth about it for about 100 news cycles and scare everyone away, completely ignoring the tens or hundreds of people killed by human drivers who would've lived if the vehicles with lower accident rates had been being driven instead.

I'm really not comfortable with the idea of Google knowing where I'm going, or a computer trying to direct me to go somewhere.

I can see it happening. After seeing the traffic in Boston over the weekend it may be the only way to keep it flowing. Traffic could flow like water or electricity, where you just bump up the pressure and make it flow faster to get more volume. Human traffic behavior is different though- once you get above a certain volume the whole mess just stops. Its really rather crazy when you think of it.

Computer controlled traffic would get everyone to where they want to go faster, eliminate most traffic jams, greatly reduce the amount of fatalities, and decrease fuel usage. Benefits are just too good to ignore.

Computer controlled traffic would get everyone to where they want to go faster, eliminate most traffic jams, greatly reduce the amount of fatalities, and decrease fuel usage. Benefits are just too good to ignore.
How would it get me where I want to go faster? Current GPS always takes the largest road possible (I.E. interstates), when I know of several faster routes almost anywhere. And then there is the whole traffic thing. Since computers would more than likely take everyone along the same route, it eliminates the possibility to change, say, during construction. Decrease fuel usage is nice, but that can be accomplished in other ways as well, and better drivers training, stricter license requirements, etc. would decrease fatalities.

How would it get me where I want to go faster?

For one, the cars could be packed closer together. Since this could be done more safely you could raise the speed limit to much higher levels without causing greatly reducing the capacity of the road (although, it would take a while to redesign the roads to accommodate the higher speed limits). The fact that so many people speed on current roads actually increases the average amount of time it takes to make a trip. Traffic flow is actually really complicated, and having it managed centrally by traffic engineers would make things a lot more efficient.

Current GPS always takes the largest road possible (I.E. interstates),

Probably because the speed limits higher.

when I know of several faster routes almost anywhere.

Meh, anecdotal. Current technology calculates the shortest route, takes speed limits into consideration, and makes some (pretty primitive) adjustments for traffic (traffic has way more stochastic factors than the other things I mentioned).

And then there is the whole traffic thing. Since computers would more than likely take everyone along the same route, it eliminates the possibility to change, say, during construction.

One part of future optimization should be to randomly send people along routes of similar length in order to avoid the computer programs creating a traffic jam themselves.

Decrease fuel usage is nice, but that can be accomplished in other ways as well,

and you could combine those other ways with this.

and better drivers training, stricter license requirements, etc. would decrease fatalities.

And you could combine that with this. For one thing, automate driving has the potential to make drunk driving less of a problem. I say has the potential, because the fact that the cars are automated is probably going to have the perverse effect that more drunk drivers will get behind the wheel (the automated driving will, for one thing, hide the obvious effects of drunk driving). If the systems aren't safe enough, the fact that there's no one to correct the computers mistakes could increase total fatalities. If they are safe enough, then it won't really matter. We could actually already be beyond that point in current technology, so my entire argument could be invalidated by technology already (I'm not working on it so I wouldn't know either way). If it, at the end of the day, reduces total fatalities, it's a good thing.

Last edited:
How would it get me where I want to go faster? Current GPS always takes the largest road possible (I.E. interstates), when I know of several faster routes almost anywhere. And then there is the whole traffic thing. Since computers would more than likely take everyone along the same route, it eliminates the possibility to change, say, during construction. Decrease fuel usage is nice, but that can be accomplished in other ways as well, and better drivers training, stricter license requirements, etc. would decrease fatalities.

Google maps can attempt to predict traffic flow. But, if the system were controlling traffic rather than just giving directions it would know what roads were being used heavily and be able to use alternate routes to relieve congestion.

Google maps can attempt to predict traffic flow. But, if the system were controlling traffic rather than just giving directions it would know what roads were being used heavily and be able to use alternate routes to relieve congestion.

Yeah, it's a lot easier to predict traffic when you're actually controlling it, obviously. Current traffic prediction is obviously pretty primitive.

The data is anonymized, but that probably doesn't mean anything if the government can get a subpoena (even if things were fully anonymized, they could always identify you by getting a subpeona to see all of the cars, looking at the one that's parked at your house, and keeping track of it. Pretty much the only way you could stop this kind of activity permanently would be through constitutional amendments). Still, you can always turn it off.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a lot easier to predict traffic when you're actually controlling it, obviously. Current traffic prediction is obviously pretty primitive.

The data is anonymized, but that probably doesn't mean anything if the government can get a subpoena. Still, you can always turn it off.
Really? Then I rescind all prior criticism. As long as I can drive myself, I don't give a fuck.

Back