Great American Skeptics

Last edited:
Some of Menkens Quotes

"There's a sucker born every minute."
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."
"Puritanism, the huanting fear that someone, somewhere, might be happy."

This is not greatest, but great. Houdini would have to be included in a short list of greatest. After reading this I think I would put Franklin on a short list too.

What were Fields' and/or Mencken's investigative achievements? I like Mencken too, but the best skeptics are those who have added to testing of fantastic claims.

Jerry Seinfeld successfully used modern skepticism on his TV sitcom.

Disclaimer: Not a Seinfeld fan - do not find it funny except for Newman and Kraemer...

This is not greatest, but great. Houdini would have to be included in a short list of greatest. After reading this I think I would put Franklin on a short list too.

What were Fields' and/or Mencken's investigative achievements? I like Mencken too, but the best skeptics are those who have added to testing of fantastic claims.
Franklin and Houdini were both on that short list.

Mencken tested many religeous and social paradigms. For example, none of us would have ever heard of the Scopes Monkey Trial had it not been for Mencken.

Back