Greatest book of all time poll

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
http://polls.zoho.com/watermark/best-book-of-all-time

This is a range poll. I was thinking an IRV poll would end in a bunch of one vote ties, which would make the winner be chosen at random. Like last time.

The book with the highest rating, wins, and is officially the greatest book of all time. If you've never read a book, it's OK to just not rate it. The poll will close in two days.

There is no arguing with this logic. If you disagree with the results, you are wrong.

Last edited:
http://polls.zoho.com/watermark/best-book-of-all-time

This is a range poll. I was thinking an IRV poll would end in a bunch of one vote ties, which would make the winner be chosen at random. Like last time.

The book with the highest rating, wins, and is officially the greatest book of all time. If you've never read a book, it's OK to just not rate it. The poll will close in two days.

There is no arguing with this logic. If you disagree with the results, you are wrong.

I am a voracious reader. My two closest friends are even more so. The idea of a "best book of all time" is like asking me to choose which of my kids is best. One of the friends I mentioned reads more than anyone I know. She devours books. She has introduced me to some of my favorite authors and is always up for coffee and chats about a book. In addition to reading virtually everything worthwhile that is written, she occasionally picks up a cheesy romance novel. I have teased her about it. Her reply is that its "brain candy". Its not literature and it doesn't make her a better thinker or person, its just junk food for the mind. Sometimes thats what is needed.

I also think there is a difference between books that teach you about life, and make you understand more about it, and books that take you beyond this life and have you stretch your imagination.

For example, To Kill a Mockingbird helps us understand life from a different perspective and in a different time. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress helps us stretch out and believe in the possibilities. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy makes us laugh.

I would hate to see what we are like without any of those three gifts.

Watermark, I like this poll and this thread. But to single out one is impossible. Just as all of my kids are remarkable, all these books have made my life infinitally richer.

I am a voracious reader. My two closest friends are even more so. The idea of a "best book of all time" is like asking me to choose which of my kids is best. One of the friends I mentioned reads more than anyone I know. She devours books. She has introduced me to some of my favorite authors and is always up for coffee and chats about a book. In addition to reading virtually everything worthwhile that is written, she occasionally picks up a cheesy romance novel. I have teased her about it. Her reply is that its "brain candy". Its not literature and it doesn't make her a better thinker or person, its just junk food for the mind. Sometimes thats what is needed.

I also think there is a difference between books that teach you about life, and make you understand more about it, and books that take you beyond this life and have you stretch your imagination.

For example, To Kill a Mockingbird helps us understand life from a different perspective and in a different time. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress helps us stretch out and believe in the possibilities. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy makes us laugh.

I would hate to see what we are like without any of those three gifts.

Watermark, I like this poll and this thread. But to single out one is impossible. Just as all of my kids are remarkable, all these books have made my life infinitally richer.

This opinion is wrong.

Well I still think it's cliched nonetheless.

Stop taking things so seriously. It's not like we're asking for every book that doesn't make it to be burned and pissed on. This is just a poll for fun, for Christ sake.

Stop taking things so seriously. It's not like we're asking for every book that doesn't make it to be burned and pissed on. This is just a poll for fun, for Christ sake.

Relax WM, I was not attacking you or the poll. I was expressing my love of literature and explaining why I had trouble choosing one.

I'll leave it alone.

Relax WM, I was not attacking you or the poll. I was expressing my love of literature and explaining why I had trouble choosing one.

I'll leave it alone.

Oh I am relaxing. Sometimes, whenever it seems like I am being very serious, it's just that I'm especially not-so-serious. :rolleyes:

:clink:

:cof1:

For me personally.................

'We Were Soldiers'(Once) Harold G.Moore/Joseph L. Galloway

This is one book that I can relate to the era...and it was very accurate...

These are all novels. Only idiots read fiction. You're all idiots.

If only idiots read fiction, then I will proudly proclaim myself an idiot (not the first to proclaim that I am an idiot).

So, do you hate Shakespeare because his works are chock-full of cliches?

LOL That was a real-life experience that my uncle, Mark, had in his school-days. A girl complained in his Shakespeare class that it was all just a bunch of cliches. Its been a long family joke ever since, and I am carrying on the tradition by making light of it now... :)

LOL That was a real-life experience that my uncle, Mark, had in his school-days. A girl complained in his Shakespeare class that it was all just a bunch of cliches. Its been a long family joke ever since, and I am carrying on the tradition by making light of it now... :)

They are probably cliches because people copy Shakespeare so much. So, whenever Shakespeare made them, they were actually original.

Oh yeah.

Back