guess who is back?

10 player or 9? Buy in? You should have at least doubled up right? How was Foxwoods?

foxwoods is always a good time.. I've pulled down a grand from there doing blackjack. I've mastered basic strategy and all that good stuff.

I'm focusing more on poker now though. The sit n' go was a 10 person... I didn't double up... the rake is 25%.

it was a 60 dollar buy in and i won 90... 30 dollar profit.

A few weeks ago I had second place... still yet to get first.

I'm usually in the top 5 but i've messed up a few times.

Last week I was on the button and decided to limp with J9 suited. I had been pretty tight so I decided to loosen up my game. (It was middle-late in the game at this point)

Flop comes 5 6 J rainbow. I'm heads up and the guy checks.... I bet the pot. He calls. Turn comes a ten. He checks.... I think I bet out around another half pot sized bet... he hems and haws and asks how many chips I have... trying to scare me or something making me think he is going to put me all in. But I was pretty confident I had the best hand so I was like . . whatever dude, hurry up...

So he decides to call.

Turn comes another ten and this is where I may have made a mistake, he puts me all in (he was big stack) and at this stage in the tournament with the blinds I was pretty much committed, so I called with J's and 10s

He had Q 10 and took it down.

I had him on the flop, had him on the turn. He was only what.. a 12% to river me out? It sucked.

I probably should have bet more on the turn. I think i had a good read and I was very sure I had him beat (and I assumed correctly). That's just the way it goes though.

I've become pretty decent at reading people.. (the book you told me about a long time ago is very useful) and that has definately helped as well.

foxwoods is always a good time.. I've pulled down a grand from there doing blackjack. I've mastered basic strategy and all that good stuff.

I'm focusing more on poker now though. The sit n' go was a 10 person... I didn't double up... the rake is 25%.

it was a 60 dollar buy in and i won 90... 30 dollar profit.

A few weeks ago I had second place... still yet to get first.

I'm usually in the top 5 but i've messed up a few times.

Last week I was on the button and decided to limp with J9 suited. I had been pretty tight so I decided to loosen up my game. (It was middle-late in the game at this point)

Flop comes 5 6 J rainbow. I'm heads up and the guy checks.... I bet the pot. He calls. Turn comes a ten. He checks.... I think I bet out around another half pot sized bet... he hems and haws and asks how many chips I have... trying to scare me or something making me think he is going to put me all in. But I was pretty confident I had the best hand so I was like . . whatever dude, hurry up...

So he decides to call.

Turn comes another ten and this is where I may have made a mistake, he puts me all in (he was big stack) and at this stage in the tournament with the blinds I was pretty much committed, so I called with J's and 10s

I had him on the flop, had him on the turn. He was only what.. a 12% to river me out? It sucked.

I probably should have bet more on the turn. I think i had a good read and I was very sure I had him beat (and I assumed correctly). That's just the way it goes though.

I've become pretty decent at reading people.. (the book you told me about a long time ago is very useful) and that has definately helped as well.

So the board looked like 56JTT. I hate those river beats with second pair drawing out, but yeah about 12%.

I had one of those last week at Hollywood park. Cash game, I've got about $450 in front of me. I've been playing really well up until this point and the table was having a hard time reading me because I started tight, changed gears and went on a tear and won several big pots in a row without having to show down my hands. Then I had 66 in the pocket and called a $15 re-raise by the big blind as I was getting good odds, and flopped a set. The BB had AA in the pocket and I took down a big pot there. The next hand after that I said to myself that I was in no matter what. I had a 3-7, and by the time the action was done and the flop was coming, there were 3 of us in the pot with about $75 in there. I flopped a boat, another guy flopped a set, and the other guy had a pocket overpair, but I won the pot and then people started saying shit like "This guy's in there for $25 preflop with a 3-7, what an idiot." But I didn't expect to win the hand and it made the table have a harder time reading me because I was fortunate enough to show that shitty starter while taking in a pot. The table was steaming..

Anyway, as I sit there with my $450 and I have a Q9 clubs, flop top pair with two hearts on the board. I go heavy for about $100 in last position and get both callers, the turn is a blank, and I try again for $200 or so, and get both callers. So I'm certain I'm beat, but the river pairs the board 3s, and the first position goes all in for his last $30 or so and I have to call, there's almost $1,000 in the pot. The other guy has called as well, and he had the same hand as mine and the clown in first position shows a set of 3s while going for a flush.

But the tricky part about that hand is that I shot myself in the foot by generating such tempting pot odds early on, and once the flop had come and gone, it was essentially going to be showdown poker no matter what, and I should have stepped on the brakes at the turn. I shouldn't have fired that second bullet, but of course hindsight is 20/20. Had it gone the other way, I probably would have thought I was Doyle fuckin' Brunson.

I think that in hindsight you're right, if you had bet more on the turn you may have taken that pot. But the hardest part about the game is the uncertainty of the cards to come.

One way of looking at it: When you feel like you have a good read on your opponent, and you are fairly certain that you have the best hand, you value bet. You are not trying to get them out, although that's almost always a good thing unless you have the nuts, you are trying to extract more chips from him. And maybe that's exactly what you were doing at that point. So its not necessarily a bad play, but his call is questionable. At that point in time, I wouldn't call your play a mistake.

Another way of looking at it: If you are going to be pot committed to calling an all in on the river even if the boar pairs (which is always scary if you don't have the boat), the you should weigh that as well. In other words, if there's a possibility that your opponent will put you all in on the river, and you are to be obliged to call, you're better off being the aggressor on the turn and putting the major decision to him.

I don't think either of these scenarios are wrong, its just what is going on at the table. The first is more common than the second in this particular hand, bu a 4, or 7 also would have been a scary river card, so there's really no absolute.

All in all, I probably would have played it the same as you.

yeah I was beating myself up over it. I was pretty confident I had the best hand but I did have in the back of my mind he may have had like AJ or something (but then I figured he would have raised as he was middle-late position).

So yeah bottom line is... long term the odds were in my favor of drawing more and more money out of that guy . . he rivered me, it happens.... so I've kind of let it go.

Whenever I lose a game or don't finish in the money, i try to honestly sit down and think what I did wrong. . . i think long term that helps me improve my game rather than always blaming the other players.

The tournament structure though is ridiculous, you are only 30 times the big blind starting, I think that's pretty low?

Whenever I lose a game or don't finish in the money, i try to honestly sit down and think what I did wrong. . . i think long term that helps me improve my game rather than always blaming the other players.

That may be one of the best tools to use in the long haul for improving your game.

The tournament structure though is ridiculous, you are only 30 times the big blind starting, I think that's pretty low?

That is ridiculously fast. 30 big blinds? They must want them to go really quick so they can keep that rake coming in steady.

yeah if you get involved early on in a hand, maybe raise, and take a stab . .. if you end up folding you are already feeling the squeeze. it is pretty fast but you get used to it.

Back