Happy Birthday, TexasMeg!

Thanks!!! The way I see it is it made it easier for gift givers growing up..."Here's your birthday AND Christmas, Meg!!" :rolleyes:
My sisters got great gifts for their b-day, then we'd get a semi-crappy gift for Christmas with mom's apology that she didn't have enough money for a good gift. Then my birthday rolled around in January.

One time I got a book that I already had on my book shelf for my birthday. Mom never knew though, I got good at pretending that batteries were just what I wanted.

My sisters got great gifts for their b-day, then we'd get a semi-crappy gift for Christmas with mom's apology that she didn't have enough money for a good gift. Then my birthday rolled around in January.

One time I got a book that I already had on my book shelf for my birthday. Mom never knew though, I got good at pretending that batteries were just what I wanted.

It sounds like she raised a good son.

My little bro likes to tell the story of when he got a jar of peanut butter for his birthday.

It sounds like she raised a good son.

My little bro likes to tell the story of when he got a jar of peanut butter for his birthday.

My father used to always say they used to get Clark Bars. I don't know if it's true or not, but I knew he was very, very, poor. My mother says that a clark bar would have been an improvement, that actually my dad used to get a potato or socks with holes in them or something. It's interesting how different people react right? You see some even on here, obviously very embittered from being touched by poverty in their youth. (no not you damo). But my dad, he maybe relived? his childhood through us. Nobody ever had the gifts we had at Christmas. I think these days that's more common, but when we were kids, it wasn't, at least not with cousins and friends. He worked on Wall Street and got those Christmas bonuses, which even then, were better than most, but not what they are now. And he spent most of it on christmas.

My father used to always say they used to get Clark Bars. I don't know if it's true or not, but I knew he was very, very, poor. My mother says that a clark bar would have been an improvement, that actually my dad used to get a potato or socks with holes in them or something. It's interesting how different people react right? You see some even on here, obviously very embittered from being touched by poverty in their youth. (no not you damo). But my dad, he maybe relived? his childhood through us. Nobody ever had the gifts we had at Christmas. I think these days that's more common, but when we were kids, it wasn't, at least not with cousins and friends. He worked on Wall Street and got those Christmas bonuses, which even then, were better than most, but not what they are now. And he spent most of it on christmas.

Reliving your childhood through your kids? Guilty here.

Its how its presented to the child. There was a depression for many of these people to remember and refect on. It was much more common to not get much. Lots of homemade stuff. The love of family was stressed in place of the gift. "would buy you the world and wrap it up if I could but this is what I could get". When you feel loved ( like Damo must have) you dont care so much.

I would get my son pretty much whatever he wanted. I feared it would make him shallow but the fact that he also felt loved and learned to not overvalue things that he asks for next to nothing for Christmas now. Hes a good man and Im proud.

Happy Birthday, Meg! Enjoy the distilled spirits when you make it by the licquor store. May I recommend Passion Fruit Rum instead of Pear Vodka? :shots:

Happy Birthday, Meg! Enjoy the distilled spirits when you make it by the licquor store. May I recommend Passion Fruit Rum instead of Pear Vodka? :shots:

The passion fruit rum is fabulous too, but I get REALLY red after drinking rum. I am on my second peartini and feeling awesome. :)

Peartini Recipe

2 parts Grey Goose Le Poire
1 part simple syrup (I used pear juice)
1/2 part amaretto
1/4 part lemon juice

YUM!

Back