Happy News!

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
Oh with what's been going on with the Boston Marathon bombing and the Texas Fertilizer plant explosion I almost forgot to poste.

My wife became a US Citizen on Tuesday. :)

The naturalization ceremony was very nice. A US Federal Judge presided, with first a brief legal preceding, in which she recognized the 57 petitioners in the court. She then asked the gentleman from USCIS if the petitioners met the qualifications for citizenship. He replied in the affirmative. She then asked him if there were any legal concernce preventing the petitioners from becoming citizens? He replied "No your honor".

She then gave a brief sermon on the history and the rights and responsibilities of being a US Citizen.

Your Honor then requested all the petitioners to stand one at a time, identify themselves to the court, state where they came from and make a brief statement. After each petitioner introduced themselves to the court, the Judge requested them to state the Pledge of Allegience, she then banged her gavel and stated that all the petitioners were now legally US Citizens and offered them her congratulations.

In all 57 people from 30 different nations became US Citizens.

Thank you Charver and it is indeed lucky to have her. She's a regular light of sunshine that woman of mine. :)

Glad to see you back on the board. Missed your wit and humour.

I think it's so nice how you talk about your wife. What a contrast to all of the dour-faced guys here and their marriage and women jokes.

The naturalization ceremony was very nice. A US Federal Judge presided, with first a brief legal preceding, in which she recognized the 57 petitioners in the court. She then asked the gentleman from USCIS if the petitioners met the qualifications for citizenship. He replied in the affirmative. She then asked him if there were any legal concernce preventing the petitioners from becoming citizens? He replied "No your honor".

She then gave a brief sermon on the history and the rights and responsibilities of being a US Citizen.

Your Honor then requested all the petitioners to stand one at a time, identify themselves to the court, state where they came from and make a brief statement. After each petitioner introduced themselves to the court, the Judge requested them to state the Pledge of Allegience, she then banged her gavel and stated that all the petitioners were now legally US Citizens and offered them her congratulations.

In all 57 people from 30 different nations became US Citizens.

Very cool.

Cool...I've met quite a few people from the Philippines. Super nice people. Of course, my experiences might be skewed a bit, because they were almost all on cruise ships. So, they kind of have to be super nice.
Maritime employment is one of the few ways they can make a western style standard of living. My brother inlaw the 1st engineer on a large container ship. He makes darned good money too.

Filipinos, in general are very polite and warm hearted people who don't like direct confrontation. They are mostly very nice people.

I think it's so nice how you talk about your wife. What a contrast to all of the dour-faced guys here and their marriage and women jokes.
A wise man once told me that to have a succesful marriage I needed to say the same three sentences to my wife every day....and I had to mean them. They are;

#1. Yes dear.
#2. I love you sweety.
#3. Did I tell you today that you are beautiful?

I've always taken that to heart.....:)

The old timer was right. It was excellent advice. :)

Maritime employment is one of the few ways they can make a western style standard of living. My brother inlaw the 1st engineer on a large container ship. He makes darned good money too.

Filipinos, in general are very polite and warm hearted people who don't like direct confrontation. They are mostly very nice people.

That's kind of what I observed. My brother was talking to a Phillipino bartender on my first cruise(where my wife and I were married, him and his wife stood up for us)....anyway...my brother was a little drunk and asked him what he got paid...now this was in 2000...but he said $9/day plus tips.

My brother was taken aback. The bartender noticed and said.... don't feel sorry for me, I live in a very nice home, have been able to send my kids to the best schools, and have a really good lifestyle in my country. The only tough thing us being away from my family for 6 months at a time.

That's kind of what I observed. My brother was talking to a Phillipino bartender on my first cruise(where my wife and I were married, him and his wife stood up for us)....anyway...my brother was a little drunk and asked him what he got paid...now this was in 2000...but he said $9/day plus tips.

My brother was taken aback. The bartender noticed and said.... don't feel sorry for me, I live in a very nice home, have been able to send my kids to the best schools, and have a really good lifestyle in my country. The only tough thing us being away from my family for 6 months at a time.
That's my brother inlaws sacrifice.....though he makes far more than $9/day.....he earns a middle class American income which goes a long, long ways in the Philippines. You can live an upper middle class American life style over there for about $2,000/month and if you don't really need a car you can live well for $1000/month.

Back