Harbin ice festival

That is so awesome! If you ever get the chance, see the Ice Carving Contest in Fairbanks in Feb. and March. Artists come from all over the world to compete. The contest sets a theme for that year. These were from 2012, the theme was Alaska/Winter.

6wyEr3Z.jpg

kIMP4Kz.jpg

Blows me away. I could do little thingies with Playdoh as a kid... but sculpture is far beyond me. Sculpture in stone? Damn. Sculpture in ice... no way. How awesome to be able to take an ephemeral material like frozen water and turn it into 3D art.

Blows me away. I could do little thingies with Playdoh as a kid... but sculpture is far beyond me. Sculpture in stone? Damn. Sculpture in ice... no way. How awesome to be able to take an ephemeral material like frozen water and turn it into 3D art.

Not to mention the aesthetic talent to design light to interact with ice in extraordinary ways. The thing that is remarkable about the Harbin festival, is that is is an entire city sculpted from ice. The artistic imagination to put that kind of thing together is astonishing.

Not to mention the aesthetic talent to design light to interact with ice in extraordinary ways. The thing that is remarkable about the Harbin festival, is that is is an entire city sculpted from ice. The artistic imagination to put that kind of thing together is astonishing.

It would be a gift to be able to see that in real life one day!

Back