Help please

Lowaicue

英語在香港
Gentlemen,
A friend of mine is considering employing a salesman to cover the US (toys and gifts). Most contact will be by email, VC and phone. No sales target for first 6 months. Travel expenses where necessary and approved reimbursed plus US$500/month for telephone etc etc. Sliding scale commission.
What salary range would one expect? Serious question.
Better to PM me with answers rather than clog up the forum. Hope this isnt breaking any rules, Damo.
Please do not apply, we just want to know what kind of salary would be expected.

I'll ask some of the sales dudes at my place of work what they make as salary. I know that most of what they make is commission for sales, but they do get a salary too.

It all depends on what your selling and the technical knowledge required by the sales person and the expectations you have for that sales person to grow this business, i.e. gross sales, and the margins you expect them to sell at.

For sales which require significant technical knowledge, such as, engineering, chemicals, IT, etc you would be talking a base salary of between $40,000 and $75,000 per year plus commissions and benefits that could bring total compensation in the $70,000 to $125,000 per year range or more. The sales reps I work with in my field typically earn between $70 to $90 KPY total compensation (of which $5 TO $10 KPY are benefits like health insurance, life insurance, retirement funding, etc.). Most of those sales reps have BA/BS in a basic science field. That's just for field sales.

Retail sales has so many variables though it's hard to place a figure. If you're expecting a person to perform executive/corporate sales functions, who makes high level contacts and builds relationships at the highest levels then you're going to pay near or above 6 figures in salary, benefits and commissions depending on their performance.

If you just need a ground pounder that does not require any specialized technical knowledge to manage a specific geographical sales region and do cold calls, develop a regional supply plan, support existing customer base and basic field sales work, etc, then you're probably talking $50 to $75 kpy total compensation or more depending on their performance. That is if you want somebody who has professional caliber sales talent and a proven track record.

It all depends on what your selling and the technical knowledge required by the sales person and the expectations you have for that sales person to grow this business, i.e. gross sales, and the margins you expect them to sell at.

For sales which require significant technical knowledge, such as, engineering, chemicals, IT, etc you would be talking a base salary of between $40,000 and $75,000 per year plus commissions and benefits that could bring total compensation in the $70,000 to $125,000 per year range or more. The sales reps I work with in my field typically earn between $70 to $90 KPY total compensation (of which $5 TO $10 KPY are benefits like health insurance, life insurance, retirement funding, etc.). Most of those sales reps have BA/BS in a basic science field. That's just for field sales.

Retail sales has so many variables though it's hard to place a figure. If you're expecting a person to perform executive/corporate sales functions, who makes high level contacts and builds relationships at the highest levels then you're going to pay near or above 6 figures in salary, benefits and commissions depending on their performance.

If you just need a ground pounder that does not require any specialized technical knowledge to manage a specific geographical sales region and do cold calls, develop a regional supply plan, support existing customer base and basic field sales work, etc, then you're probably talking $50 to $75 kpy total compensation or more depending on their performance. That is if you want somebody who has professional caliber sales talent and a proven track record.

What sort of a degree do you need to sell fluffy toys?

Thanks

Thank you to everyone who has contributed.
The product range has had considerable success on DRTV (up to 2 x 40ft boxes per day into US) and has some existing retail presence. The job will be to set up a small office and find and build new business (W'sale, R'tail, OEM). Hours as necessary, detailed reportage, achieve targets, all reasonable expenses plus sliding scale commision. The boss is a good friend of mine and will accept no crap.
I will be writing the job description.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed.
The product range has had considerable success on DRTV (up to 2 x 40ft boxes per day into US) and has some existing retail presence. The job will be to set up a small office and find and build new business (W'sale, R'tail, OEM). Hours as necessary, detailed reportage, achieve targets, all reasonable expenses plus sliding scale commision. The boss is a good friend of mine and will accept no crap.
I will be writing the job description.

So I got the job?

Will you pay for my ticket to China? I'm broke at the moment.

Unfortunately my part in this is restricted to the job description. I have no idea how this will be handled after that. I guess it could be through an agent, direct ads or existing contacts I have no idea.

Well, the fact that I don't know Mandarin and have zero experience in sales would probably make me a poor Chinese salesman anyway.

I probably wouldn't have said anything had you not specifically asked people not to apply.

Well, the fact that I don't know Mandarin and have zero experience in sales would probably make me a poor Chinese salesman anyway.

I probably wouldn't have said anything had you not specifically asked people not to apply.

Why? Do they speak Mandarin in your part of America?

Back