Hey apple - WTF is up with your parole board?

cawacko

You guys pardoned a coach who sexually abused his junior players? WTF is that all about?

Pardon for James stuns Fleury, Kennedy

CALGARY, Alberta -- Theo Fleury and Sheldon Kennedy, two former NHL players who say they were sexually abused as teenagers by a junior hockey coach, are among those angered at the revelation the convicted sex offender was pardoned in 2007.

Graham James, 58, pleaded guilty to sexual assault after two of his former players, including Kennedy, told of the abuse they suffered at his hands from 1984 to 1995.

The Canadian Press reported that it learned Graham James had been granted a pardon by the National Parole Board when a previously unknown accuser of James came forward and contacted Winnipeg police.

"I look at the time from when Graham was charged, convicted and sentenced and now it's written off his record," Kennedy said. "It was a matter of roughly 12 years and I see people struggling with this -- not just Graham James victims, but victims of child abuse who struggle with this for years and years and years."

Dimitri Soudas, a spokesman for Prime Minister Stephen Harper, said the government was "shocked" to learn of the pardon.

"The National Parole Board made this decision without our government's consent or knowledge," he said.

Parole board spokeswoman Caroline Douglas said the pardons process does not generally take into account the nature of the crime, even those the public finds particularly upsetting.

"We cannot discriminate based on the crime committed," Douglas said. "Very few people are ineligible for a pardon. Everyone else is eligible no matter their crime. We have to follow the law."

Fleury, who played with Kennedy for the Calgary Flames, has lodged a complaint about James with police. He went to Winnipeg authorities in January after publishing a memoir last autumn that detailed years of alleged abuse by his former coach.

"I'm shocked and mystified. Imagine somebody who commits that kind of crime being pardoned," Fleury said in a statement Sunday. "I thought we had an open justice system. It's just more proof our society has a lot to learn about protecting the victims."

"Obviously nobody was proud of the decision or it wouldn't have been a secret," Fleury said, according to The Canadian Press.

James was sentenced to 3½ years in prison in 1997 and his whereabouts are unknown. Records show he was one of 14,748 Canadians given a pardon in 2006-07, while 103 people were refused.

Former Calgary MP Art Hanger, a 22-year member of the Calgary Police Service and member of the Canadian Justice Foundation, called the latest development "reprehensible."

"I mean, this man used his authority as a coach and attacked youngsters -- vulnerable, vulnerable boys. For the most part, these kind of characters cannot be cured.

"There is no indication in anything that he has done to place himself into the good graces of the Canadian public. I don't understand the parole board's thinking."

Ron Jette of the Child Sexual Abuse Prevention Network called the pardon "justice undone."

"You have to ask yourself," Jette wondered, "'What were they thinking?"

The Canadian Society for the Investigation of Child Abuse, of which Kennedy is a board member, reacted with dismay.

"We think it's sad whenever a person who is alleged to have been abusive in a position of authority doesn't face all of the consequences," executive director Lynn Barry said. "It is very important that those people be held accountable."

From ESPN.com

He had already been out of prison for quite a few years. It really made no practical difference, because he's still on record. From what I've heard it's standard operating procedure to issue pardons like this and Stephen Harper is just trying to bitch himself into a majority so he can turn Canada into the 51st state.

He had already been out of prison for quite a few years. It really made no practical difference, because he's still on record. From what I've heard it's standard operating procedure to issue pardons like this and Stephen Harper is just trying to bitch himself into a majority so he can turn Canada into the 51st state.
Tell him we don't want Quebec.

Seriously, what's the use of a pardon that doesn't get you out of prison, doesn't get you off the records, and is issued to nearly everyone after a period of time? These really don't seem to be anything like American pardons.

Criticize the length of the sentence if you want to, but the little rubber stamp they were legally bound to put on his record is really a non-issue.

You guys pardoned a coach who sexually abused his junior players? WTF is that all about?

Pardon for James stuns Fleury, Kennedy

CALGARY, Alberta -- Theo Fleury and Sheldon Kennedy, two former NHL players who say they were sexually abused as teenagers by a junior hockey coach, are among those angered at the revelation the convicted sex offender was pardoned in 2007.

Graham James, 58, pleaded guilty to sexual assault after two of his former players, including Kennedy, told of the abuse they suffered at his hands from 1984 to 1995.

The Canadian Press reported that it learned Graham James had been granted a pardon by the National Parole Board when a previously unknown accuser of James came forward and contacted Winnipeg police.

"I look at the time from when Graham was charged, convicted and sentenced and now it's written off his record," Kennedy said. "It was a matter of roughly 12 years and I see people struggling with this -- not just Graham James victims, but victims of child abuse who struggle with this for years and years and years."

Dimitri Soudas, a spokesman for Prime Minister Stephen Harper, said the government was "shocked" to learn of the pardon.

"The National Parole Board made this decision without our government's consent or knowledge," he said.

Parole board spokeswoman Caroline Douglas said the pardons process does not generally take into account the nature of the crime, even those the public finds particularly upsetting.

"We cannot discriminate based on the crime committed," Douglas said. "Very few people are ineligible for a pardon. Everyone else is eligible no matter their crime. We have to follow the law."

Fleury, who played with Kennedy for the Calgary Flames, has lodged a complaint about James with police. He went to Winnipeg authorities in January after publishing a memoir last autumn that detailed years of alleged abuse by his former coach.

"I'm shocked and mystified. Imagine somebody who commits that kind of crime being pardoned," Fleury said in a statement Sunday. "I thought we had an open justice system. It's just more proof our society has a lot to learn about protecting the victims."

"Obviously nobody was proud of the decision or it wouldn't have been a secret," Fleury said, according to The Canadian Press.

James was sentenced to 3½ years in prison in 1997 and his whereabouts are unknown. Records show he was one of 14,748 Canadians given a pardon in 2006-07, while 103 people were refused.

Former Calgary MP Art Hanger, a 22-year member of the Calgary Police Service and member of the Canadian Justice Foundation, called the latest development "reprehensible."

"I mean, this man used his authority as a coach and attacked youngsters -- vulnerable, vulnerable boys. For the most part, these kind of characters cannot be cured.

"There is no indication in anything that he has done to place himself into the good graces of the Canadian public. I don't understand the parole board's thinking."

Ron Jette of the Child Sexual Abuse Prevention Network called the pardon "justice undone."

"You have to ask yourself," Jette wondered, "'What were they thinking?"

The Canadian Society for the Investigation of Child Abuse, of which Kennedy is a board member, reacted with dismay.

"We think it's sad whenever a person who is alleged to have been abusive in a position of authority doesn't face all of the consequences," executive director Lynn Barry said. "It is very important that those people be held accountable."

From ESPN.com

I have no idea, Cawacko. I'm not familiar with how the pardon system works, however, I did find this.

(Excerpt) In Canada, a pardon does not erase a convict's criminal record. Instead, it keeps the information separate and does not show up on police checks of the Canadian Police Information Centre.

In the case of sex offenders, though, the person's name is flagged on the system and their criminal past would show up in a background check for someone with a sex offence conviction applying to work with children or other vulnerable people. (End)
http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/04/05/13468261-qmi.html

Seriously, what's the use of a pardon that doesn't get you out of prison, doesn't get you off the records, and is issued to nearly everyone after a period of time? These really don't seem to be anything like American pardons.

Criticize the length of the sentence if you want to, but the little rubber stamp they were legally bound to put on his record is really a non-issue.
Let's be clear. What is called a "pardon" in Canada, is called "Parole" here in the States.

Back