Hey....gun guys...

Steelplate

I am going to a public sale on Thursday....there's a semi auto pistol up for bid....two actually, but I'm only interested in the one. It's a Raven Arms P25.

I thought it would be a nice pea shooter, and my wife wants to get into shooting for fun, and I thought with the small caliber, it would be a good starter for her.

I don't know much about them....any idea on what my max bid should be if in good condition?

I am going to a public sale on Thursday....there's a semi auto pistol up for bid....two actually, but I'm only interested in the one. It's a Raven Arms P25.

I thought it would be a nice pea shooter, and my wife wants to get into shooting for fun, and I thought with the small caliber, it would be a good starter for her.

I don't know much about them....any idea on what my max bid should be if in good condition?

I have no idea. I would suggest finding a .22 for her to shoot for fun. It is much more accurate, and hitting the target will help her enjoy shooting.

I have never been a fan of the little .25 autos. Too little power, iffy accuracy even at fairly close range, and crap for sights.

I would pass on it, unless you just want it for self-defense. Not a gun I would use to go target shooting, .25 ACP ammo is more expensive than .22 ammo.

I suggest a Browning Buckmark 22 pistol for a woman for plinking. I personally prefer the Ruger Mark II and use one for squirrel hunting but the Browning is lighter, costs about the same as the Ruger and is plenty accurate to satisfy. Both of these are full size pistols, not pocket guns, but are definitely more satisfying to shoot as steady aim will be rewarded with targets hit. My wife has shot both and she prefers the lighter Browning over the Ruger. Both come with standard 10 shot clips.

She'll shoot her eye out...Ralphie.

$5. DEAD serious. Brand new they're worth about $50. I wouldn't even buy it if I were you honestly

For a bit of background, Raven Arms is part of a 'group' of manufacturers (including Lorcain, Jennings, Bryco, and Phoenix), that make probably the shittiest guns on the market. Often cast from inferior metals (such as Zinc), they exhibit poor quality at every level and even poorer reliability. For your wife, whom you're hoping to get into shooting, having to clear a jam every 3-5 rounds will not be fun. It would be even less fun if she suffered a catastrophic failure.

If you want a BUDGET gun to get her shooting, nothing beats a Hi-Point 380. Or if you have a tad more to spend (ANY gift for your wife should cost a couple hundred anyways), your options open up considerably. And those guns will most likely serve her much better, and be softer on your wallet in the long run (25acp is expensive).

If you want an inexpensive gun to target shoot and get in to shooting, look around for a Ruger Single Six. It is a single action .22 revolver, so she will have to cock it for each shot, which helps her stay focused and avoid learning bad habits. It is also one of the safest guns out there. As a bonus, it is an accurate plinker and comes with a spare cylinder so you can also shoot .22 magnums.

If you want an inexpensive gun to target shoot and get in to shooting, look around for a Ruger Single Six. It is a single action .22 revolver, so she will have to cock it for each shot, which helps her stay focused and avoid learning bad habits. It is also one of the safest guns out there. As a bonus, it is an accurate plinker and comes with a spare cylinder so you can also shoot .22 magnums.

Yeah, I have a Super Blackhawk .44mag...which is too much for her. I agree that single actions force you to take your time. Looking back on that purchase, I kind of wish I would have went for the .357. 44 shells, even the specials, are expensive to plink with. At least with the .357, you can shoot .38 shells in them...which are reasonable.

EDIT: I guess part of the lure was also selfish...never owned a semi auto... thought it would be fun

I suggest a Browning Buckmark 22 pistol for a woman for plinking. I personally prefer the Ruger Mark II and use one for squirrel hunting but the Browning is lighter, costs about the same as the Ruger and is plenty accurate to satisfy. Both of these are full size pistols, not pocket guns, but are definitely more satisfying to shoot as steady aim will be rewarded with targets hit. My wife has shot both and she prefers the lighter Browning over the Ruger. Both come with standard 10 shot clips.

I have a Ruger Mark I which I've owned since the early 70's.
Most reliable hand gun that I've ever shot.

Yeah, I have a Super Blackhawk .44mag...which is too much for her. I agree that single actions force you to take your time. Looking back on that purchase, I kind of wish I would have went for the .357. 44 shells, even the specials, are expensive to plink with. At least with the .357, you can shoot .38 shells in them...which are reasonable.

EDIT: I guess part of the lure was also selfish...never owned a semi auto... thought it would be fun

A semi auto can be lots of fun. Buy a good one. Like a Ruger MkII. I have a bull bbl model that is amazingly accurate and functions flawlessly.

My girlfriend has a pair of .357 revolvers (a Taurus and a S&W). She loves target shooting with the .38 special rounds.

A semi auto can be lots of fun. Buy a good one. Like a Ruger MkII. I have a bull bbl model that is amazingly accurate and functions flawlessly.

My girlfriend has a pair of .357 revolvers (a Taurus and a S&W). She loves target shooting with the .38 special rounds.

Thanks....I'll look around...about a half hour away is a gun shop that has an incredible selection....and it's a local business. I buy local whenever I can with just about anything...the anti-corporatist in me hates chain stores

I've only ever fired the Taurus and a Springfield. Loved the Taurus, and would recommend it.

meanwhile-taurus.jpg

Haha, no, it was just a Taurus 9mm handgun. The only rifle I've ever fired was the M-16 back in Basic.

I hated the Springfield because it had a grip safety, and because I'm a noob, my grip sucks, thus causing me to jam the fucking thing repeatedly...

My wife and I got our son a Taurus Revolver....learning from my experience with the Blackhawk, we got him a .357.

Haha, no, it was just a Taurus 9mm handgun. The only rifle I've ever fired was the M-16 back in Basic.

I hated the Springfield because it had a grip safety, and because I'm a noob, my grip sucks, thus causing me to jam the fucking thing repeatedly...

I know. Taurus is an ok builder actually, it's just easy to dig on them. And grip safety or not, limp wristing a pistol is likely to cause a jam.

That debpends on if you're anything like me, your wife's temperment and how much life insurance you have.

Back