Hey, Tom

Minister of Truth

Practically Perfect
I just had a new Canadian captain walk up to me and ask for directions to the "wash room." Hmm, now which country of origin could he have possibly acquired that term from?

:toilet:

This is from Wiki.

In American English, the term "restroom" usually denotes a public, commercial, or industrial personal hygiene facility designed for high throughput, whereas the term "bathroom" is used to denote a facility that is smaller and often in a residence, with lesser throughput (i.e., often for only one person at a time to use). The word "restroom" originated in the United States, but "bathroom" is now more commonly used. Some Americans prefer "restroom" over "bathroom" because public restrooms rarely have bathtubs. The word "washroom" is often used in the United States for a "laundry room" or utility room.
In Canada, "bathroom" is generally used to refer to the room in the home, though "washroom" is sometimes used, with items in the room still being described with the adjective "bathroom". This leads to the seeming paradox of the bathroom sink being located in the washroom. Public facilities, on the other hand, are always called "washrooms". As men's and ladies' facilities are not normally situated next to each other in Canadian department stores, they may be referred to simply as "the ladies' room" or "the men's room". The word "toilet" generally denotes the fixture itself rather than the room. The word "washroom" is never used to mean "utility room" or "mud room" in Canada.
In Britain, Australia, Hong Kong (as "toilets"), Singapore (as "toilet") and New Zealand, the terms in use are "public toilet", "public lavatory" and more informally, "public loo". In South Africa, toilet and restroom are commonly used. A "bathroom" is a room containing a bath, a "washroom" is a room for washing hands, and a "restroom" is a room to rest in when tired; none of which would necessarily contain a toilet. Public toilets were traditionally signed as "Gentlemen" or "Ladies", and as the Gents or the Ladies; these terms remain in colloquial use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washroom

I just had a new Canadian captain walk up to me and ask for directions to the "wash room." Hmm, now which country of origin could he have possibly acquired that term from?

:toilet:

Why did you ask Tom when you could have checked wikipedia yourself?

Those of us in the upper classes use the term. It doesn't apply to the proles.

(At one time the wash room was separate from the bathroom. One didn't take a bath every day, they'd wash themselves off with a bowl and pitcher conveniently placed in the bedroom. But far away from that other pitcher conveniently placed next or near to the bed, iykwim.)

No need to, dear. Never been in one. I've got 10"of Mr Happy sitting right next to me. He says hello and please share you experiences at the bath house with the class.

Better yet, don't. Your obsessions with a teen lesbian and a teen kidnapping victim are truly creepy.

No need to, dear. Never been in one. I've got 10"of Mr Happy sitting right next to me. He says hello and please share you experiences at the bath house with the class.

Better yet, don't. Your obsessions with a teen lesbian and a teen kidnapping victim are truly creepy.

I think I missed a post..did it get deleted?

Because Tom insists on pretending that only Americans pretty up the old shithouse, when the British clearly do as well. Also, the Canadians, who typically retain such customs.

Because Tom insists on pretending that only Americans pretty up the old shithouse, when the British clearly do as well. Also, the Canadians, who typically retain such customs.

Pretty up the shithouse?? What a charming turn of phrase you have. Brits usually just say where's the toilet or the loo, can't speak for royalty though.

Whenever I am in Canada and I ask where the bathroom is, I get the correct response.

Back