Hitchhiking

cawacko

Since this board is dominated by Boomers I'm curious how many of you used to hitchhike, or pick up hitchhikers, back in the day? I was talking with my old man who said in the early '70's he hitchhiked from JFK Airport to Columbus, OH. That's seems almost unfathomable today. I remember as a kid my parents picking up hitchhikers. Clearly a very different time.

Since this board is dominated by Boomers I'm curious how many of you used to hitchhike, or pick up hitchhikers, back in the day? I was talking with my old man who said in the early '70's he hitchhiked from JFK Airport to Columbus, OH. That's seems almost unfathomable today. I remember as a kid my parents picking up hitchhikers. Clearly a very different time.

Hitchhiking was popular in the 60s. I hitchhiked from San Diego to New Orleans. I hitchhiked from Tijuana to Mexico City. I hitchhiked from Montreal to Vancouver. Having a car is a better option, especially if it has a Radio and Air Conditioning.

:thumbsup:

I use to do it as a teenager..... ALmost everyday for short trips........ & a few long trips...

I was born in 1962 so I am just barely a Boomer...No never hitched and never did pick up a hitchhiker.... though it has been part of plenty of fantasy and roleplay.

Here is an unfathomable today...In 1978 I did a two week cross country train trip (Amtrak CHI-LA-SD-OAK-CHI)....By myself.

Who the hell hasn't hitch hiker? For me it was just in and around across town!

When was the last time you’ve actually seen someone hitchhiking? I wouldn’t be surprised if you surveyed Millinials and Gen Zers that a majority have no clue what hitchhiking is, or know anyone who has hitchhiked.

Yep. Used to hitchhike when I lost my driver's license. Got picked up by a hot nurse and dated her for a few months. Stupid me dumped her :thinking:

Hitchhiking is a thing of the past.
You can hardly get anyone to stop and give you a jump these days.
Remember when bumpers lined up and you could push people that were broke down home or to a garage?

Shit, back in my day it was almost like a right of passage to hitch hike across the country. Truck drivers were pretty cool for picking you up back then. They liked having someone to talk to and when they would drop you off they would CB another driver to pick you up.

Got broke of that habit when I was 19 and was picked up by this big perv and rolled out of his car at about 25 mph. Fortunately I landed in the ditch and not the road. That was the end of my hitch hiking days.

Shit, back in my day it was almost like a right of passage to hitch hike across the country. Truck drivers were pretty cool for picking you up back then. They liked having someone to talk to and when they would drop you off they would CB another driver to pick you up.

Got broke of that habit when I was 19 and was picked up by this big perv and rolled out of his car at about 25 mph. Fortunately I landed in the ditch and not the road. That was the end of my hitch hiking days.

Today a lot of Trucks have cameras in the cap, their employer has live feeds....them days are done.

I did as a kid, but not much. I have picked up a couple of hitchhikers in my time, but wouldn't consider it today.

Once while waiting for a bus to the beach, we stuck out our thumbs on a whim, a plainclothes police detective picked us up and gave us a ride all the way to the beach. Super nice guy, and wasn't looking to harass a couple of long-hair's, just wanted to make sure we made it to our destination safely. I'll never forget that. I was probably 14 or 15 at the time.

Hitchhiking is a thing of the past.
You can hardly get anyone to stop and give you a jump these days.
Remember when bumpers lined up and you could push people that were broke down home or to a garage?

Well if you broadcast your location next time, I'll see if I can get someone to drive by & jump you............ Have some cash on hand, maybe a few beers & some good pot if they need to travel far.......

My brother hiked to Oregon from Boston as a teen. Made it in three days, some rides were very long. As mentioned, truckers would call out on CB and he was often picked up again shortly.

I hitched all around southern New England, maybe as far as DC. Some days were tough, ate a lot of cheese whiz sandwiches back then. Some folks were great and would go way out of their way to set you up at a good or legal spot.
Many highways were illegal to hitch on. Sometimes the cops would let you hitch from the bottom of an onramp. Other times they would make you walk for miles to the next exit. Never got arrested or offered a ride by a statie though.

Always picked up hitchhikers until the "incident". Driving up 95 with my very wealthy girlfriend, I picked up a couple men. Dumb move but I was 19. These guys must have been on dust. Started going nuts, I pulled over, got them out, and locked the girl in the car.
Got cut up pretty good but was holding my own until one of them ripped off the back windshield wiper and started smashing the windows with it. I knew I couldn't protect her at tht point so we surrendered to the robbery. They got us for about $6,000 in cash and jewelry
The one year old Nissan was totaled between the broken windows windshield wipers and all the blood in the interior. She wasn't hurt physically but we were not a couple much longer. Never played that game again.

Back