Hmm and zero terroist acts....

uscitizen

Villified User
Community grows, thrives
By Jim Warren
HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER

Mahmoud Shalash recalls that, when he moved to Lexington 30 years ago, places for Muslims to gather and worship were few and far between.

"When I first moved here, students at the University of Kentucky were going to Friday prayers at the student center, and people in the community would go to the American Muslim Mission on Georgetown Street," Shalash said. "But things have changed. There's been a great deal of growth since I came to Lexington."

Indeed, Lexington now boasts two mosques -- one led by Shalash -- as well as an Islamic school. And mosques are proliferating all over the area -- in Richmond, in Danville, in London, in Frankfort.

And the days when a Muslim who moved to Lexington might struggle to find others of his or her faith in town are past.

Shalash notes that between 2,000 and 3,000 people now regularly turn out at Heritage Hall in downtown Lexington for Eid ul-Fiter, the celebration that marks the end of Ramadan.

None of that surprises Ihsan Bagby, associate professor of Arabic and Islamic studies at UK and imam at Masjid Bilal Ibn Rabah, a mosque on Russell Cave Road in Lexington. In 2001, Bagby co-wrote a national survey that identified more than 1,200 mosques in the United States. Bagby says he expects that a recount scheduled next year will show a substantial increase.

He estimates that there are at least 22 mosques operating in Kentucky today, although he said there might be some other, smaller ones he's unaware of.

http://www.lexingtonheraldleader.com/158/story/164921.html

I kept waiting for my muslim-american doctor to cry "Allah Ahkbar!", and inject me with anthrax whenever I went into her office. But, it never happened.

I've been expecting the evalgelicals to join up with then to ban that evil alcohol.
They really have far more in common that the holy rollers think.

I kept waiting for my muslim-american doctor to cry "Allah Ahkbar!", and inject me with anthrax whenever I went into her office. But, it never happened.
When I searched for a doctor, I chose a Muslim purposefully from the list. They clean themselves even more often than a regular doctor. I appreciate cleanliness in my medical professionals.

lol

Good point Damo!

Plus, they don't shove their religion in your face and try to convert you, like the evangelicals. ;)

lol

Good point Damo!

Plus, they don't shove their religion in your face and try to convert you, like the evangelicals. ;)
I've never been approached by an evangelical doctor. Although my mother sent me to a shrink when I told her that I wasn't a Christian who constantly asked, "How is your walk with God?"

yeah the common American perception is that there is something wrong with anyone who does not believe in God....

I've never been approached by an evangelical doctor. Although my mother sent me to a shrink when I told her that I wasn't a Christian who constantly asked, "How is your walk with God?"

"How is your walk with God?"

I don't even know what that means. Must be some sort of fundamentalist code.

yeah from a hymn, about the name of God which is Andy.
Andy walks with me,
Andy talks with me,
Along lilfes ........

Back