honoring the fallen

65 years ago, hundreds lost their lives so that liberty would be victorious over evil. rest well, brave men of America, your sacrifice is not forgotten.

65 years ago, hundreds lost their lives so that liberty would be victorious over evil. rest well, brave men of America, your sacrifice is not forgotten.

Please don't forget the British, Canadian and Commonwealth contribution to Operation Overlord.

On D-Day, the Allies landed around 156,000 troops in Normandy. The American forces landed numbered 73,000: 23,250 on Utah Beach, 34,250 on Omaha Beach, and 15,500 airborne troops. In the British and Canadian sector, 83,115 troops were landed (61,715 of them British): 24,970 on Gold Beach, 21,400 on Juno Beach, 28,845 on Sword Beach, and 7900 airborne troops.
11,590 aircraft were available to support the landings. On D-Day, Allied aircraft flew 14,674 sorties, and 127 were lost.
In the airborne landings on both flanks of the beaches, 2395 aircraft and 867 gliders of the RAF and USAAF were used on D-Day.
Operation Neptune involved huge naval forces, including 6939 vessels: 1213 naval combat ships, 4126 landing ships and landing craft, 736 ancillary craft and 864 merchant vessels. Some 195,700 personnel were assigned to Operation Neptune: 52,889 US, 112,824 British, and 4988 from other Allied countries.
By the end of 11 June (D + 5), 326,547 troops, 54,186 vehicles and 104,428 tons of supplies had been landed on the beaches.
As well as the troops who landed in Normandy on D-Day, and those in supporting roles at sea and in the air, millions more men and women in the Allied countries were involved in the preparations for D-Day. They played thousands of different roles, both in the armed forces and as civilians.

I was watching a documentary today about the Normandy Landings and there was something that I had never realised before. The landing craft were developed by a New Orleans boat builder called Andrew Higgins who originally designed the craft to conduct illicit booze running in the shallow creeks and rivers around New Orleans. His flat bottomed boat with a propeller and rudder tucked into the underside was ideal for negotiating the waterways and evading the authorities, never was the maxim that necessity is the mother of invention more true.

http://www.cpmac.com/spip/spip.php?article100365

Last edited:
Yes, the greatest generation of all time will never be forgotten by those of us who truly love our country.

The sad part is; that applying the same logic that the anti-right have used, in regards to the "lack" of intel for the M.E. there are posters here who would scream that those who ordered the invasion should be put on trial for "lying" about the info.

From one sorce:
British - 2700
Canadians - 946
Americans - 6603

God bless them all.

The sad part is; that applying the same logic that the anti-right have used, in regards to the "lack" of intel for the M.E. there are posters here who would scream that those who ordered the invasion should be put on trial for "lying" about the info.

From one sorce:
British - 2700
Canadians - 946
Americans - 6603

God bless them all.

Right. Only a filthy animal would politicize the deaths of 6603 Americans.

Why do you guys always have to butt in? Can't we have a single ethnocentric moment without the brits whining?

With films like U-571, Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers airbrushing Britain, Canada et al out of the Second World War, us Brits think that you've had enough of those moments already. The war had hardly ended before Hollywood started the process with Objective Burma! with Errol Flynn almost single handedly taking Burma from the Japanese despite the fact that there were virtually no US troops in Burma in WW2.

U-571 is another extremely good example, the first of 15 Enigma machines were captured by the British in 1940 before the US had even entered the war. The US only ever captured one machine which was well after Bletchley Park had cracked all its secrets.

With films like U-571, Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers airbrushing Britain, Canada et al out of the Second World War, us Brits think that you've had enough of those moments already.

LOL. I was just joking. America is one of the few nations in the developed world that still has a huge dose of nationalism, or as pansy Euros like to put it, a ridiculous ego.

Curiously, the most patriotic country in the world according to polls is actually Venezuela.

LOL. I was just joking. America is one of the few nations in the developed world that still has a huge dose of nationalism, or as pansy Euros like to put it, a ridiculous ego.

Curiously, the most patriotic country in the world according to polls is actually Venezuela.

I realised you were joking but I used your ironic comments to make a serious point. Did you know that Gordon Brown and that appalling liitle shit Sarkozy forgot to invite the Queen to the 65th anniversary? She is the only head of state that served in the Second World War but apparently that wasn't considered a good enough reason.

Last edited:
I realised you were joking but I used your ironic comments to make a serious point. Did you know that Gordon Brown and that appalling liitle shit Sarkozy forgot to invite the Queen to the 65th anniversary? She is the only head of state that served in the Second World War but apparently that wasn't considered a good enough reason.

I believe they call that 'out with the old, in with the new'. Our leaders have somehow gotten the idea that they can drag us in to the new world order, kicking and screaming.

Back