House Passes Stem Cell Bill

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
House passed Stem Cell bill

The House Democrats are on a roll in the First 100 hours. Almost overlooked because of the reaction to the disastrous speech by the President was the passage of the Stem Cell bill:

Thirty-seven Republicans joined 216 Democrats to pass the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act, which would allow federal funding of research on stem cells from embryos slated for destruction at fertility clinics.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/11/AR2007011100251.html

Good for them... !

Now the Senate... !

Bush veto's this and his approval rating will drop even lower... In the low 20's and I think the Democrats start considering impeachment or some grounds or another.

Good for them... !

Now the Senate... !

Bush veto's this and his approval rating will drop even lower... In the low 20's and I think the Democrats start considering impeachment or some grounds or another.

they wont impeech him, hes a gold mine for leftwing politics, hell will have to freez over before he gets impeeched for what ever reason. the left is to scared of making themselves look bad by an impeechment

You dont think if 80% of Americans disapprove of the Job the President is doing, they wont at least have serious hearings?

You dont think if 80% of Americans disapprove of the Job the President is doing, they wont at least have serious hearings?

nope, there is too much of a chance it will look politicly bad for em, if anything they will wait until he is nolonger in office. like i said bush is a political gold mine for the left, why ruin somthing that is working so good for their political goals.

and quite frankly the left dosnt respect the opinion of the americain people anymore the the right dose

Maybe, but if there is an 80% consensous and the people demand it, the Demcorats may pay a political price for appearing to not do anything about Bush!

Maybe, but if there is an 80% consensous and the people demand it, the Demcorats may pay a political price for appearing to not do anything about Bush!

i think that they are willing to pay that price, either way it going to look better for the left then the right

They can always blame it on the publicans, it takes a 2/3 majority to impeach....
I figure the AQ would attack us if we impeached bush, after all he has been their biggest supporter.

People are not going to demand impeachment if he vetoes this bill. That's simply wishful thinking. I doubt his approval would even change as those who approve of him currently are the most likely to approve of such a veto.

People are not going to demand impeachment if he vetoes this bill. That's simply wishful thinking. I doubt his approval would even change as those who approve of him currently are the most likely to approve of such a veto.

I never said they would demand an impeachment if he veto's this bill. I said if his approval rating goes much lower, I belive there will be a political price for the Democrat if they failed to make some noise about removing Bush. They are already getting kinda pounded on Fox for not being able to do much about Bush's "new" Iraq policy!

I never said they would demand an impeachment if he veto's this bill. I said if his approval rating goes much lower, I belive there will be a political price for the Democrat if they failed to make some noise about removing Bush. They are already getting kinda pounded on Fox for not being able to do much about Bush's "new" Iraq policy!
My point was that his approval is unlikely to go lower on a veto of this bill. That 35% that approve of him currently are likely to be the 35% that want this bill vetoed. I seriously doubt much would change if he vetoed this bill. Also, the bill still needs to pass the Senate which is much more closely held, only one or two Ds move over to the other side and you would be S.O.L.

we're in uncharted territory here. I don't think any american president has been so unpopular, for so long. I dont' think bush has had 50% approval ratings in a couple years, and he's been below 40% for, what, a year and a half at least?

Impeachment certainly was intended - in theory - to remove a dangerously incompetent president who was harming the nation with his incompetence.

My point was that his approval is unlikely to go lower on a veto of this bill. That 35% that approve of him currently are likely to be the 35% that want this bill vetoed. I seriously doubt much would change if he vetoed this bill. Also, the bill still needs to pass the Senate which is much more closely held, only one or two Ds move over to the other side and you would be S.O.L.

Trust me, that bill will pass the Senate... it has the support of all Democrats and several Republicans in the senate!

Trust me, that bill will pass the Senate... it has the support of all Democrats and several Republicans in the senate!
Every single Democrat, including the affiliated Independants? Regardless, it doesn't have the support to overturn a Veto, and Bush's approval would be unlikely to change if he did veto it...

Hell, Nancy Reagan is campaigning for it!
Once again, that does not change the fact that his approval ratings would be unlikely to change from a veto of this measure. My assertions haven't been answered by an unrelated support from somebody else. My point is that those who approve of him are likely to also approve of such a veto. There is a reason they still approve of him and it isn't the war.

we're in uncharted territory here. I don't think any american president has been so unpopular, for so long. I dont' think bush has had 50% approval ratings in a couple years, and he's been below 40% for, what, a year and a half at least?

Impeachment certainly was intended - in theory - to remove a dangerously incompetent president who was harming the nation with his incompetence.

I dont think so, I think it was only intended to remove criminals.

But... that being said, with popular opinion behind them there are plenty of things Bush had done that could be considered criminal!

Every single Democrat, including the affiliated Independants? Regardless, it doesn't have the support to overturn a Veto, and Bush's approval would be unlikely to change if he did veto it...

There's no doubt every single democrat, plus Lieberman and Sanders will vote for the stem cell bill.

The problem is fillibuster. They need 60 votes for cloture.

Once again, that does not change the fact that his approval ratings would be unlikely to change from a veto of this measure. My assertions haven't been answered by an unrelated support from somebody else. My point is that those who approve of him are likely to also approve of such a veto. There is a reason they still approve of him and it isn't the war.

I disagree, I think there is a good 3-4% that would go with the Regan's on this one...!

ANyway job approval is more of a perception thing and popularity is a funny thing, when it starts to fall, sometimes it will drop like an avalanche!

Back