How ‘Be Not Afraid’ Endangers Us All

Guno צְבִי

We fight, We win
great article

always wondered why southern bible thumpers forego using the brains that G-D gave them

The same goes for fear. I have been warning people about this virus since late February, but my concerns kept getting minimized or dismissed by those within earshot. One of the refrains I’ve heard from them again and again is that God is in control, so when we allow fear to overtake us, it demonstrates a failure on our part to have faith.

When a pandemic arrives, for example, and you are convinced an Invisible Protector will maintain his control of events no matter how far afield the world begins to veer, you learn to stuff those illicit feelings deep down inside. The moment they begin to surface, something kicks in that shuts off the most extreme emotions within an evangelical Christian. You can sometimes see it move across their faces when it happens. I remember doing the same thing myself back when I was still a believer, but now it just seems unhealthy to me looking in from the outside.

Think of it like disabling the Check Engine light on the dash of your car—or better yet, turning off the temperature gauge or the Empty light on your fuel gauge—simply because it was unpleasant to keep seeing it. Those warnings are there for a reason and they should be heeded. If your house were on fire, it wouldn’t be a good idea to turn off the fire alarms and go about your regular business around the house. Those alarms are sounding for a good reason.

I wish the evangelical church cared about this, but it doesn’t. You see, Earth isn’t their home anyway, and Jesus is coming back and he’s gonna wipe everything out and start all over again. You wouldn’t polish brass on a sinking ship, would you?

What a convenient theology for the powerful to exploit!

The bulk of the deaths from this coronavirus will come from the poorest zip codes, and white evangelicals will decide that is an acceptable loss for the sake of restarting the economy. We may each lose an older member of our extended families, but in a capitalistic economy, a person’s value to society comes from what they contribute to the Gross Domestic Product.

Will the evangelical church resist that kind of thinking? Does it have anything within its toolbox to counter that cultural value system? I guess we will find out.

But to whatever extent public action follows public feeling, evangelical Christians will have very little to contribute to the situation. They’ll be over here reminding each other that everything is going to be fine and there’s nothing to fear.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/godle...m_campaign=Imagine+No+Religion&utm_content=44

Back