How deregulation or your "free market" for Libertarian loser boozers costs us all mor

How deregulation or your "free market" for Libertarian loser boozers costs us all mor

On Tuesday, CL&P argued for its proposal of increased electricity rates, citing rising costs in electricity supply.

"In 2000, we had to sell all of our generator plants. We were required to do that through deregulation," CL&P spokesman Mitch Gross said. "Since then, we had to go out to buy the power. This is simply what the suppliers are charging us for the power."

Lawmakers in several other states nationwide are also addressing increasing costs as rate caps expire and free market rates take effect, including Delaware, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Texas and Montana.

http://www.wfsb.com/money/10371595/detail.html

so since the CL&P has been deregulated if this increase passes, it will have cost us an increase of over 20% in 2 years...

YAY capitalism... they just want us to die... po' dems on the march.

LOL. It isn't "free market" when they require you to purchase the energy rather than run your own. Come on 'stud' at least use that argument when there actually is a free market.

they had to sell them to deregulate... otherwise its called a monopoly... and those are illegal.
No, they had to sell them because new regulation required the purchase of energy from elsewhere. This is not a free market or real deregulation, it is simply differently regulated.

Who are? Those that created new regulations that made their energy costs higher? I agree. Whoever "deregulated" this way made your costs higher.

im not even kidding... someone somewhere is trying to kill all the po' dems.... and being a po' dem myself i really don't like it....if only my salary went up 20% in 2 years...... but it wont, b/c they all just want us to starve off and die.

"O'Connor reported state lawmakers are working on options to stabilize energy rates, including allowing utility companies to start generating electricity again."

Talk to this guy, it looks like he wants the electric company to be able to supply electricity again to lower your costs. He sounds like a smart guy....

It's foolish to regulate yourself into higher costs and call it "deregulation" then blame it on Libertarians though. This isn't a "libertarian" plan. It's just bad regulatory law.

No, they had to sell them because new regulation required the purchase of energy from elsewhere. This is not a free market or real deregulation, it is simply differently regulated.

CLP is (or was) a privately-operated public utility.

The "deregulation" nuts, tried to convert it from a public utility, to one that has to buy power on the free market.

Been there done that. I saw what Enron and the other market manipulators did to california's electricity rates.

SEC Filing:

"The Connecticut Light and Power Company ("CL&P"), Berlin, Connecticut, a wholly owned public-utility subsidiary of Northeast Utilities"

http://www.sec.gov/divisions/investment/opur/filing/35-27817.htm

CLP is (or was) a privately-operated public utility.

The "deregulation" nuts, tried to convert it from a public utility, to one that has to buy power on the free market.

Been there done that. I saw what Enron and the other market manipulators did to california's electricity rates.

SEC Filing:

"The Connecticut Light and Power Company ("CL&P"), Berlin, Connecticut, a wholly owned public-utility subsidiary of Northeast Utilities"

http://www.sec.gov/divisions/investment/opur/filing/35-27817.htm
In order to "deregulate" they mandated that they have no generators of their own, this raised costs. The people who put this together were not creating anything resembling a "free market".

Properly run, monopolies can be a good thing.
On the other hand can we deregulate the government and have a competing government or two ?
Oh silly me that was old states rights stuff....

"deregulation" of utilities and such has a very poor track record.
That's pretty much the bottom line, I think. Theory bedamned, the observed fact is that deregulation hasn't often produced lowered rates and better service. Certainly not here.

By the same token, public utilities -- particularly electricity and water -- have a pretty good track record overall.

Back