How Miserable Are We Supposed to Be?

BidenPresident

Verified User
By Huw Green. Dr. Green is a clinical psychologist.

When I ask myself some version of “Are these people more miserable than they’re supposed to be?” my clinical judgment comes to resemble something more commonplace than a medical diagnosis. Not detached from the standards set by my professional peers but now more grounded in practical considerations about the intelligibility of a person’s feelings, rather than abstract technical notions of pathology and treatability.

The value of this reframing is that it has a sort of democratizing power. It gives more weight to people’s priorities and their life contexts alongside the definitions created to guide expert diagnosis. I am not deciding that they are depressed; we are deciding together, alongside the community at large, that the misery has become too much to bear.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/05/opinion/depression-misery-psychiatry-mental-health.html

By Huw Green. Dr. Green is a clinical psychologist.

When I ask myself some version of “Are these people more miserable than they’re supposed to be?” my clinical judgment comes to resemble something more commonplace than a medical diagnosis. Not detached from the standards set by my professional peers but now more grounded in practical considerations about the intelligibility of a person’s feelings, rather than abstract technical notions of pathology and treatability.

The value of this reframing is that it has a sort of democratizing power. It gives more weight to people’s priorities and their life contexts alongside the definitions created to guide expert diagnosis. I am not deciding that they are depressed; we are deciding together, alongside the community at large, that the misery has become too much to bear.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/05/opinion/depression-misery-psychiatry-mental-health.html

While vying for the most Christiananality - Mohammed pedophilia suicidal super ego mass psychoses of fascism sociopsychopathilogical homicidal human farming of Russia's Orthodox Church rootin' tootin' Putin utilizing phosphorus after months of missiles in the destruction of Ukraine versus this Christian Nation "serve the Pope or die" SCOTUS Rehnquist Fourth Reich July 9/11 national religion more perfect union with Federal Lynching KKK churchstate of hate fiefdom drug trafficking enforcement Islam "death to the infidels" diatribe Washington, D.C. born USA citizens are Islam from those thieving US Constitution Bill of Rights arsonists repeated evidence gathering to prove that even though an individual that is in need of medical care from passing in & out of consciousness could with statistical probability after the granted standing destruction of more than 2 dozen Bill of Rights copies actually identify the perpetrators making others miserable putting on supreme swastika up Uranus patriot acts.....

Back