How Septic Tanks Help The Environment

WarmPotato

Youtuber
[video=youtube;sCobzqD9tlg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCobzqD9tlg[/video]

I'm all about helping the environment. I think the trees are important - so I make every effort to ensure that I make the smallest impact possible on the environment. Taking showers every other day, turning off electronics not in use, re-using plastic bags from the supermarket. Heck! I also try to limit my politics so there's less hot air in the room!

However, there's one thing I haven't been able to do that I'd really like to - and that is,
to use a septic tank instead of a sewage system. To simplify what Septic systems are all about I'll quote a related article down below:

"Septic systems are underground wastewater treatment structures, commonly used in rural areas without centralized sewer systems. They use a combination of nature and proven technology to treat wastewater from household plumbing produced by bathrooms, kitchen drains, and laundry"

No one knows what that means, so I'm here to explain. A septic system is basically the septic tank and the "drainfield" - This is also called the "soil absorption field" for a reason you'll understand in a minute.

Basically, whenever you use any indoor plumbing, all your waste is sent underground into the septic tank. Inside the septic tank, floatable matter like oils and grease are separated from wastewater; also, of course, any "Solids" are separated from wastewater too.

All the wastewater is called "Effluent". Its PEE. Effluent is liquid waste or sewage - usually discharged into the ocean when you have sewer pipes. When it comes to septic tanks, Effluent is slowly released into the soil. BASICALLY, all your pee is very slowly released into your "soil absorption field".

Any heavy solids end up as sludge at the bottom of the tank. Its POO. Sludge is basically a wet mud kind of substance - its solid, but also liquid.

ANYWAYS, every 3 to 5 years you should clean out your septic tank - The more people using indoor plumbing, and depending on the size of the septic tank - The more often you'll have to clean out the tank.

The tank is cleaned by a tube pulling out all the solids. Once the tank is fully cleaned out, a service technician will WALK INSIDE THE TANK and check all the components and make sure there aren't any problems (You can't check for broken parts, with solids all over them!)

If you only take one thing away from this article, its this. Instead of all your feces and acidic urine ending up in the ocean - get a septic tank! The urine will be put back into the soil, and everything else will be sent to a waste treatment plant to be used by the agricultural industry. Bottom line - All true environmentalists use septic tanks! So if you have the means, I definitely recommend you invest in one!

Back