Hugo Chavez MisQuoted: What He Really Said Was...

Prakosh

Looks like all the jokes weren't based on what Chavez actually said. He is obviously more well read than another famous world learder, who in his earlier and more candid moments seemed proud that he had never read a book. But of course no, like many others, he reads or claims to have read 3 Shakespeare's and a Camus on his summer vacation. Obviously, Chavez at least knows what he is reading.

Now Watch John Kenneth Galbraith's Works Move Up the Amazon Lists.

Editors' Note of the Week, from The New York Times:

An article on Sept. 21 about criticism of President Bush at the United Nations by President Hugo Chavez of Venezuela and President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran reported that Mr. Chavez praised a book by Noam Chomsky, the linguist and social critic. It reported that later, at a news conference, Mr. Chavez said that he regretted not having met Mr. Chomsky before he died. The article noted that in fact, Mr. Chomsky is alive. The assertion that Mr. Chavez had made this misstatement was repeated in a Times interview with Mr. Chomsky the next day.

In fact, what Mr. Chavez said was, "I am an avid reader of Noam Chomsky, as I am of an American professor who died some time ago." Two sentences later Mr. Chavez named John Kenneth Galbraith, the Harvard economist who died last April, calling both him and Mr. Chomsky great intellectual figures.

Mr. Chavez was speaking in Spanish at the news conference, but the simultaneous English translation by the United Nations left out the reference to Mr. Galbraith and made it sound as if the man who died was Mr. Chomsky.

Readers pointed out the error in e-mails to The Times soon after the first article was published. Reporters reviewed the recordings of the news conference in English and Spanish, but not carefully enough to detect the discrepancy, until after the Venezuelan government complained publicly on Wednesday.

Editors and reporters should have been more thorough earlier in checking the accuracy of the simultaneous translation.

Fully Story w/Links

political pundits.....
All sides have em.

Well, OK, but this was actually missed by the United Nations translator. Not a political pundit or not one supposedly thought to be a political pundit. It also makes one wonder what else the United Nations's translators miss or fail to translate. No wonder "they" hate US, we never seem to know what "they" are talking about because "they" don't have good translater's and "we" don't seem to care. John Bolton probably doesn't understand anything said in a foreign tongue.

Well, OK, but this was actually missed by the United Nations translator. Not a political pundit or not one supposedly thought to be a political pundit. It also makes one wonder what else the United Nations's translators miss or fail to translate. No wonder "they" hate US, we never seem to know what "they" are talking about because "they" don't have good translater's and "we" don't seem to care. John Bolton probably doesn't understand anything said in a foreign tongue.

You bring up a good point. That was a pretty significant speech. Imagine all the "little" translations that just get lost forever.

people usually apply for jobs like that directly with the UN. I'm sure a lot of them are filled with nepotism, but, for the most party the apply to work for the UN.

And on the subject of Venezuela. I thought these people would be shot according to some on here and the oil rhetoric does not add up either.
sounds sort of like a democracy to me.....

Mass Venezuela opposition rally
By Greg Morsbach
BBC News, Caracas

Opposition supporters fill central Caracas
The rally was on a scale not seen since 2004
Tens of thousands of people have marched through the Venezuelan capital, Caracas, in support of the main opposition candidate, Manuel Rosales.

Mr Rosales will face President Hugo Chavez in December's presidential poll.

The march, which filled the main avenues of the city centre, was the biggest opposition rally Venezuela has seen since early 2004.

Mr Rosales condemned what he called the cheque book diplomacy of Mr Chavez, accusing him of giving away Venezuela's oil wealth to foreign powers.

Story at:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4801521.stm

as long as he wants to give us free oil, he shouldn't have any worries from me.

Funny these Venezuelans weren't confined to some kind of Free Speech Zone. I hear that the constitution has been re-written in this way specifically for Bush. "Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech [in specifically designated free speech zones], or the right of the people peacably to assemble [in designated areas for pre-screened designated purposes]...

LOL. I've always wondered how people who support Clinton could be all upset about Bush's Free Speech zones while ignoring the Previous President using the same damn thing.

Free speech zones ? I did not even know about them, how could I be upset ?
What are they ? Perhaps I need to get upset ;)

Free speech zones ? I did not even know about them, how could I be upset ?
What are they ? Perhaps I need to get upset ;)
It puts protesters quietly over in a corner where they can't bother a President. I was put there several times when Clinton was in office.

Back