Human Interest Story

signalmankenneth

Verified User
It's people like this that are making America great?!!

A horrific childhood in China inspires a crusade against homelessness

Eureka, CA (CNN)Betty Chinn doesn't sleep much.

Each day before sunrise until well into the night, this petite woman in her 70s covers a lot of ground—tending to hundreds of people living in homelessness along California's north coast.

"I tell myself, 'Time to go, somebody needs your help,'" said Chinn, a Chinese immigrant who's lived in Humboldt County for almost 50 years.

She starts preparing meals in the very early hours. Throughout the day, she drives a mobile food truck to 11 locations, serving those struggling to survive.

"I forge a personal connection with them," Chinn said. "And then ask them what they need, how can I help them."

She's been at it for nearly four decades, expanding her efforts well beyond meals and starting her nonprofit. She and her group operate three shelters—one just for families, where Chinn often sleeps and remains on call at all hours.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/04/us/c...tty-kwan-chinn-homeless-foundation/index.html

betty_chinn.jpg

Is a Universal Basic Income a solution?

Would a check help these people or do they have mental problems and need greater assistance.

"When I ask my mental health colleagues about this, the one political figure that typically comes up is former President Ronald Reagan. It’s like an urban legend in our field. People say the reason so many people with mental illness are homeless or in jail—one-third of all homeless individuals and half of all people behind bars—is because of President Reagan."

"He made similar decisions while he was the governor of California, releasing more than half of the state’s mental hospital patients and passing a law that abolished involuntary hospitalization of people struggling with mental illness. This started a national trend of de-institutionalization."

"It’s ironic that a political leader who made such sweeping decisions affecting Americans with mental health issues ultimately came face-to-face with the dangers of untreated mental illness. In 1981, President Reagan was shot by John Hinckley Jr., a man suffering from several different types of personality disorders."

"Where has Hinckley been for the last 30 years? In a psychiatric hospital."

"It makes me wonder just how many people living on the streets today would also be safer and better cared for in an institutional setting."
http://www.povertyinsights.org/2013...al-health-policies-cause-todays-homelessness/

"When I ask my mental health colleagues about this, the one political figure that typically comes up is former President Ronald Reagan. It’s like an urban legend in our field. People say the reason so many people with mental illness are homeless or in jail—one-third of all homeless individuals and half of all people behind bars—is because of President Reagan."

"He made similar decisions while he was the governor of California, releasing more than half of the state’s mental hospital patients and passing a law that abolished involuntary hospitalization of people struggling with mental illness. This started a national trend of de-institutionalization."

"It’s ironic that a political leader who made such sweeping decisions affecting Americans with mental health issues ultimately came face-to-face with the dangers of untreated mental illness. In 1981, President Reagan was shot by John Hinckley Jr., a man suffering from several different types of personality disorders."

"Where has Hinckley been for the last 30 years? In a psychiatric hospital."

"It makes me wonder just how many people living on the streets today would also be safer and better cared for in an institutional setting."
http://www.povertyinsights.org/2013...al-health-policies-cause-todays-homelessness/

Like the ones in Congress?

Back