Hurricane proof town shows what should happen in Florida

T. A. Gardner

Thread Killer
Babcock Ranch in Florida shows it is possible to build a hurricane proof town. It survived Milton with barely a scratch. Don't expect FEMA or insurers to pay people to rebuild to those standards however because it does cost more to make hurricane proof homes...

In fact, it was designated an evacuation center by Florida's government. Seems to me that the problem isn't weather, but rather piss poor construction standards and the allowance of things like mobile homes...

Sure, but being 25-30 elevation has a lot to do with it, and is not replicable in many places.....storm surge is often the worst part of hurricanes:

Solar-powered town takes direct hit from Hurricane Ian, never loses electricity | 60 Minutes​

Babcock Ranch in Florida shows it is possible to build a hurricane proof town. It survived Milton with barely a scratch. Don't expect FEMA or insurers to pay people to rebuild to those standards however because it does cost more to make hurricane proof homes...
They cannot even build normal rain proof houses in Florida. The building codes are so loose, and loosely enforced, that they have buildings collapsing from regular rain.

They cannot even build normal rain proof houses in Florida. The building codes are so loose, and loosely enforced, that they have buildings collapsing from regular rain.
Nonsense. Dade County building code is one of the strictest in the nation with respect to hurricane protection of construction.

Babcock Ranch in Florida shows that it is possible to build a hurricane proof town. It's just people don't want to spend the money to do things right. They'd rather get things fast and cheap. Or, as I say, There's never time and money to do things right, but there's always time and money to things over...

Sure, but being 25-30 elevation has a lot to do with it, and is not replicable in many places.....storm surge is often the worst part of hurricanes:

Solar-powered town takes direct hit from Hurricane Ian, never loses electricity | 60 Minutes​

I like the solar power we have too. It's been good... with battery backup I have had no loss of power, though I do have to have a generator to make it work when power is out as our system sells back to the power company so it needs to have a power connection for the system to function... power goes out the generator kicks in and our power is back on battery backup before we even notice there was an interruption. With UPS on our internets and other vital systems our home has like 10 seconds of outage compared to our neighbors with hours and the internets keep on ticking without any interruption.

Solar and wind, if properly done, will make a decentralized power grid, that will be much more resilient.
A bit of backup and yeah... Problem is there simply is not even close to enough to get'r'done on a wholesale scale, and transmission lines going down would still be a thing. On site solar is fantastic but expensive and does not save folks money, and we do not have the infrastructure to make it happen as a centralized project (everyone on solar though solar generation and transmission to the homes).

Nonsense. Dade County building code is one of the strictest in the nation with respect to hurricane protection of construction.

Babcock Ranch in Florida shows that it is possible to build a hurricane proof town. It's just people don't want to spend the money to do things right. They'd rather get things fast and cheap. Or, as I say, There's never time and money to do things right, but there's always time and money to things over...
You keep claiming that, but the insurance companies know better.

Solar and wind, if properly done, will make a decentralized power grid, that will be much more resilient.
Solar and wind are not reliable sources of power. Weather effects both. Solar doesn't work at night. Battery power is anything but cheap. That means you have to duplicate the system with something reliable like natural gas.

Insurance companies want to make a profit, nothing more. In many respects, they are nearly clueless about actual risk.
Insurance companies do not want to subsidize Florida's horrible building practices. They would rather insure houses in states with reasonable building practices.

As for being "clueless", they have the best data on claims, because they actually get the claims.

Insurance companies do not want to subsidize Florida's horrible building practices. They would rather insure houses in states with reasonable building practices.

As for being "clueless", they have the best data on claims, because they actually get the claims.
No, they just don't like the odds in Florida--or California for that matter. They want surer bets on making money and not having to pay out.

What in your mind is "reasonable" govt? This should be good.
And that is the difficult part. The Republican "all regulations are bad" is objectively wrong, but how much regulations are good starts becomign subjective. I welcome a debate on exactly what we should regulate, and instead find the debate over whether any regulations are "worse than Hitler."

And that is the difficult part. The Republican "all regulations are bad" is objectively wrong, but how much regulations are good starts becomign subjective. I welcome a debate on exactly what we should regulate, and instead find the debate over whether any regulations are "worse than Hitler."
Only a simpleton believes Republicans think all regulations are bad. This is why sensible discussions are impossible with you people. You can't even define your goals and you assume the problem is with the other side. Can you even comprehend the depth of your foolishness? It shouldnt be difficult for you to tell us what you think is reasonable govt if you have spent even a nanosecond thinking about it. What Republicans think has NOTHING to do with what you see as reasonable govt. Stop being lazy.

That's why I say the question we should be asking is "How much do we allow?" not "How do we eliminate this problem?" Right now, regulators in government focus on the later with a "zero tolerance" mentality. That's the problem.

Back