I Always Thought it was a Joke . . .

OrnotBitwise

Watermelon
I learned something yesterday that made me laugh. It turns out that a local urban myth is quite true after all.

I was reading in the San Jose Mercury News about some of the more obscure local items at issue this November. Focusing on a couple of measures in Berkeley, they published a breakdown of the registered voters in that city. As it turns out, there really ARE more registered Greens in Berkeley than there are Republicans! We outnumber them by 3 voters.

:D

Of course, the real story is that in Berkeley -- a city of just under 100,000 population -- there are only about 3,600 registered Republicans.

I've never been to Chapel Hill but I've heard it's great.

Austin Texas. Now there's a town worth visiting. It's like an oasis of sanity in a vast sea of stupid. ;)

Never been to Austin, just to several places in the vast sea of stupid :)
My sister says big springs is nice. Never been there though. she is however a hopless republican from being married to a lifer air force officer kind of guy.

I just finished breakfast, dishes and DemocracyNow. And I am feeling overcome with a particularly severe variety of nearly uncontrollable sadness and despair. The show which will be transcribed in its entirety at the Democracy Now website includes a piece on Rachel Corrie's play which has just finally opened off-Broadway in New York and features a discussion with her father and sister and the woman who co-edited Rachel Corries's journal writings into what is now the play on her life. In a follow-up to this story Amy spoke for a short time with the actor and political activist Vanessa Redgrave who was instrumental in bringing the play to New York.

Redgrave talked about her efforts to bring the Corrie story to the New York stage and the case of Mahar Arar and during all this matter of fact discussion of the death, destruction, rendition and torture of two talented and self-less human beings played out against the backdrop of a steady drip, drip, dripping away of not only our constitutional rights but of the Constitution itself under the most repressive regime in the history of this country, I began to feel a certain sense of hopelessness. Ironically this thread only reinforces my deep sense of loss and despair. If the city of Berkeley, undoubtedly one of the most liberal areas in the whole country can only boast 3,600 green party members, what hope is there for a third party that stands in stark opposition to the corporate slaves represented by Tweedledum and Tweedledee ever developing in this country.

I think back to the short-lived ideals and ideas generated by members of the Populist Party of the late 1800s and wonder if that wasn't the last best chance for a political reality different from the unstoppable power of the capitalist machine that now rules this country with what is becoming increasingly an iron fist similar in many ways to those of the totalitarian countries we fought against in WWII. I don't know how many know this but after WWII we charged people who water boarded prisoners with a war crime.

Yesterday, with a gleam in his eye, a flourish of his right hand and that smirk still on his face, Bush made waterboarding by American interrogators a legal act, took away habeus corpus, and gave himself the same powers that were invested in the dictators of Germany and Russia under Hitler and Stalin and every other third world tyrant from Idi Amin and Pol Pot to the American supported Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet. This is a sad time indeed in American history. Today I feel that sadness more than ever before through every cell in my body. Progress in Iraq? I guess if ten dead in one day is progress? How about some progress in America...

Last edited:
Looks like there isn't a righty on this board can find anything to argue with in my previous post. They must be even more depressed than I am being all caught up in the "strict construction of the constitution" and all. And then to have sit there while their erstwhile hero, George W. Bush trashes the very document that so many righties are so invested in. Yeah, they sure didn't have any quick knee jerky responses to this post did they? I wonder why???

Obviously klaatu, you haven't yet discovered the wonders of reading books on the history of the ideas that emerged during earlier periods in our once great nation. Too bad you couldn't find it in your consciousness to respond effectively to my criticism of the Bush administration's latest litany of lies. I guess Bush is finally leaving even his staunchest defenders speechless.

Last edited:
Back