I don't have a "convertible."

NiftyNiblick

1960s Chick Magnet
I hate the American use of the word "convertible" as an automobile body style. The cars are not
cartoon transformers. They don't convert into anything.

For a conventional convertible, I prefer the French word "cabriolet."
We already use the French words "sedan" and "coupe," after all.

For a four-door convertible like the 1960s Lincolns, I prefer the word "phaeton."
For a little two seat convertible, I prefer the word "roadster."

"Convertible" just sounds de classe.
Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Anybody other than Arby or myself currently driving open top motorcars?

The only one I owned was a 66' Triumph Herald, great in good warm weather

Triumph~Herald~(1).jpg

I prefer to call them ragtops!

This is a picture of my 2nd car I had when I was in High School! Well, Mine was a different color.

1965 Ford Galaxie XL Ragtop 352CU 3-speed automatic with the console t shifter with bucket seats.

Mine was Saturn Green with a black top with a real glass rear window that had to be zippered down before you pushed the button that automatically folded the top back and down. Then there was a boot that snapped down over it!

I remember putting Thrush mufflers on it as it already had a dual exhaust. And I also put some Crager SS mags on it. It was a beautiful beast and panty dropper!

1966-ford-galaxie-500-convertible.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer to call them rag tops!

This is a picture of my 2nd car I had when I was in High School! Well, Mine was a different color.

1965 Ford XL Rag Top.

Mine was Saturn Green with a black top with a real glass rear window had to be zippered down before you pushed the button that automatically folded the the top back and down. Then there was a boot that snapped down over it!

I remember putting Thrush mufflers on it as it already had a dual exhaust. And I also put some Crager SS mags on it. It was a beautiful beast and panty dropper!

1966-ford-galaxie-500-convertible.jpg
I had a '66 Galaxy for a while, but I crashed it. Walked away, but it was really mangled.
Little 289 engine in a big car like that so it wasn't very fast, but it was comfortable...while it lasted.

I had a '66 Galaxy for a while, but I crashed it. Walked away, but it was really mangled.
Little 289 engine in a big car like that so it wasn't very fast, but it was comfortable...while it lasted.

I wasn't really impressed with that 352 either. Had it been a 390 with a 4-speed, I would have probably kept it.

I drove it for a year or so, and traded it in on a brand new 69 Dodge Dart Swinger with a 340 magnum.

Back