APP - I Just Got Back From a Military Funeral

Minister of Truth

Practically Perfect
A Master Sergeant who was four days from retirement committed suicide on Memorial Day. Today I attended his military funeral, which was well done. The man was only 43, married with two young daughters. He was a scout master and scouts educator, a coach of baseball and soccer, an avid fisher, a chef, and well-liked guy. Wish we knew what the hell he was thinking, and why retirement was such a painful thought for him. Lot's of grieving left behind, including a friend and colleague of the same rank who was set to retire with him and co-host a camping event on the Army fort at the end of the month.

:confused:

i don't mean to tread on this person's memory, but how do you know it had anything to do with retirement? he was only 43.....with two young daughters. not the typical retirement/depression situation.

True, we're all in the dark as to the actual reasons - this was just one comment the higher-ups made to us about it. They have openly admitted that there are a number of known details which are not being shared with us, but I believe those have to do with the nature of the suicide and the condition in which the man's body was found in. No one saw it coming in terms of motive, so many suspect the dramatic change in life. I've considered that he might have been in doubt about financial security, as it would seem clear that he'd have needed a new job to carry him into retirement age in order to support everyone. If that's the case, I wish he would have found a way to bank off of his hobbies, and find a job in Parks & Recreation or something. Perhaps take on a paid admin job in the Scouts...

i don't mean to tread on this person's memory, but how do you know it had anything to do with retirement? he was only 43.....with two young daughters. not the typical retirement/depression situation.
Just my personal speculation, based on experiences with all sorts of retired and career military peoples. It's a different mindset then what most other people have.

Of course, he was much older, but I'm thinking o Jack Nichelson in About Schmidt, although his character's wife dies right after retirement, and he had been dissatisfied with much of the people/things in his life for some time already, but just didn't realize it yet.

A Master Sergeant who was four days from retirement committed suicide on Memorial Day. Today I attended his military funeral, which was well done. The man was only 43, married with two young daughters. He was a scout master and scouts educator, a coach of baseball and soccer, an avid fisher, a chef, and well-liked guy. Wish we knew what the hell he was thinking, and why retirement was such a painful thought for him. Lot's of grieving left behind, including a friend and colleague of the same rank who was set to retire with him and co-host a camping event on the Army fort at the end of the month.

:confused:

It's called "Institutionalization". Some people become so adapted to a strongly regimented life with in an institution that after a long period of time they cannot cope with life outside of that institution. It's most frequently observed in lifers in the millitary and parolees who've served very long prison terms. Remember the movie "The Shawshank Redemption" when Brooks hangs himself because he's become institutionalized and can't cope with the outside world.

Back in my 20's I worked with a guy who committed suicide. He was in his mid 40's, had a good career, a lovely wife and young family, and he was a fun guy to work with and talk to. In my mind he was a gentleman and a gentle soul. It wasn't until the day of the funeral that I found out how he died- previously I thought it was an accident or something. Not only did he commit suicide but he tried to cut his own head off with a large serrated kitchen knife doing it. I didn't know him all that well but one never knows what harbors in people's minds sometimes.

Keep strong 3D, some questions don't have answers.

Back