I just had a ghost pepper

I like to have beer when I'm messing with ghost peppers. Someone brought some beef strips to work a few years ago named suicide sticks. That was actually my first encounter with ghost peppers.

I like to have beer when I'm messing with ghost peppers. Someone brought some beef strips to work a few years ago named suicide sticks. That was actually my first encounter with ghost peppers.

I had a diablo pasta dish at a downtown restaurant made of a ghost pepper ragu and scratch made pasta and it was wrong on so many levels the burn on the front side was bad and even worse backburn but I kept going back for more. I could only eat half a four ounce portion but my scovell tolerance is only middle of the road.

It was an example of a really good recipe ruined by using to much pepper heat. I know pepper heads would go meh but honestly after two bites you could not taste anything but heat so it was a great recipe reduced to a novelty dish only a handful who have completely seared off their taste buds could appreciate.

That was a shame as it was really a good pasta dish which would have really shined with the ghost peppers unique flavor had the dish been properly balanced. Instead it was like any dish that sings a single note. Not that great. Anyone can make a recipe crazy hot. It's not about good eats. It's about a masochistic pain and pleasure endorphin rush. You might as well just squirt pepper spray into your mouth.

A trend that was going on around these parts a few years back was to drop a habanero or whatever really hot pepper into a bottle of vodka and let the capsicum dissolve into the vodka then do shots or make martinis. That was surprisingly good for making chocolate martini.

A trend that was going on around these parts a few years back was to drop a habanero or whatever really hot pepper into a bottle of vodka and let the capsicum dissolve into the vodka then do shots or make martinis. That was surprisingly good for making chocolate martini.

My wife and I were in Ballard (the Little Scandinavia of Seattle) a few years ago, and we went into a Matador for lunch. I'm sitting there watching college football, and these loaded peppers she ordered get delivered. She knows I'm a lightweight, so she insists that I should sample this simple snack. I do, and it's overwhelming, so I start pounding my beer. In surprise, she takes a bite, nods her head, and is like, "wow, these are pretty hot. Usually, they're not all that hot..."

Recently, I started buying Costco gin to make martinis with (and vodka for my wife, since she doesn't like gin). She got these loaded olives, which would cause me a bit of discomfort when it came time to eat the olive.

I know of a few coworkers whom I use as estimates for how hot something is. If the first (a guy from Eau Claire, WI) doesn't think something is hot, then it's probably somewhat safe to try. The second, a UW fan, is pretty hardcore, and if he thinks something is hot, I may not wish to trifle with it. The third guy, an Ohioan, and proud Buckeye fan, basically is immune to most stuff. If he rates something as perhaps a little warm, then it is probably lethal. Everyone thinks he's insane.

I know of a few coworkers whom I use as estimates for how hot something is. If the first (a guy from Eau Claire, WI) doesn't think something is hot, then it's probably somewhat safe to try. The second, a UW fan, is pretty hardcore, and if he thinks something is hot, I may not wish to trifle with it. The third guy, an Ohioan, and proud Buckeye fan, basically is immune to most stuff. If he rates something as perhaps a little warm, then it is probably lethal. Everyone thinks he's insane.
Of course he's insane. By definition Buckeyes are nuts.

Back