I Left My Heart In San Francisco

Irony there is that he wasn’t from San Francisco, nor even ever lived in San Francisco, a Big Apple guy from birth to death

Read in an article the song was written by a staff member who gave it to him on a tour that was about to visit San Francisco, and it was the B side of a single put out at a latter date

You Californiacs just can’t get out from beneath the East Coast shadow

Irony there is that he wasn’t from San Francisco, nor even ever lived in San Francisco, a Big Apple guy from birth to death

Read in an article the song was written by a staff member who gave it to him on a tour that was about to visit San Francisco, and it was the B side of a single put out at a latter date

Ha! He was of the era of ‘go west young man’ and the California Dream was alive and well. Geography is but a place, but where the heart is…

Ha! He was of the era of ‘go west young man’ and the California Dream was alive and well. Geography is but a place, but where the heart is…

Yeah, whatever, still love Woody Allen on California, “the only cultural advantage is being able to make a right turn on a red light.”

As a kid growing up in the 50's, my first remembrances of Adult Contemporary artists were Nat King Cole, Perry Como, Johnny Mathis, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Doris Day, Dinah Shore, and too many others to mention. I mean, they were the single artists that would show up the most on the Variety shows of the era, that my parents watched. Was I a big fan of these artists? Not really, as I was just basically familiar with them, as some of them were also Movie Stars, and I liked them as Movie Stars more so than their music. As for Music, I was more into the Elvis Presley's Buddy Holly' Rockabilly Types, and the R & B groups like the Coaster's and Doo Wopper's, and the Hank Williams/Johnny Horton Country sounds of that era!

To be honest, I never even heard of Tony Bennett until "I left My Heart In San Francisco" somehow broke through into the Top 40 Rock charts. There it was out there with the Beatles, Four Seasons, and Beach Boys. And to my very own surprise, I loved the song. And I have heard many people try to sing it through the last 60 years, NO ONE EVER SANG THE SONG AS GOOD AS TONY- NO ONE!

Tony Bennett was a back study for me, and I have watched several documentaries and performances of him over the years and learned to appreciate him as one of the very best Adult Contemporary artists ever, and I give him full credit of keeping that genre alive for over 70 years now. Very sad to hear of his death, and very sad that the Adult Contemporary Genre of music may die with him.

Who will carry that torch now? Harry Connick Jr.? It seems everyone else, in that category is dead!

Last edited:

We are the 5th largest economy in the world on our own

Who’s the shadow?

This song was before my time but I can imagine an East Coast guy trying to impress a girl would play this song. The girl would be like “OMG, if this guy wants to go out west he must really be going places. I want to be with him…”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KOok1WzZbOY

Back