I saw this today and felt like a fucking idiot

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
MoonAni.gif

Well, anyway, for an explanation, I have always been told that the shadow of the earth causes a new moon. Even though that model makes no sense and is completely obvious after you've watched this, it never occurred to me to challenge that idiocy in my head.

Well, anyway, for an explanation, I have always been told that the shadow of the earth causes a new moon. Even though that model makes no sense and is completely obvious after you've watched this, it never occurred to me to challenge that idiocy in my head.

So is it also true that the moon is controlled by the tides, not the other way around?

Are you serious? If all Americans thought that, then the Apollo missions would have landed on Venus! It's lucky that they had some ex-Nazis to show them the way.

You're both idiots.
I was being serious dickweed. I had heard that because our oceans have far more mass and weight then the moon, the tides had an affect on the moon, not the moon influencing the tides. Please correct me if I am in error cock smuggler.

The shadow of the earth on the moon causes a lunar eclipse.

Yes, damo, I know. My badly stated point was that I have always generally had both models in my head, and whenever someone would tell me that the earths shadow caused the new moon I wouldn't bat an eye (it's a pretty common misconception that the earths shadow causes a new moon, as I just learned from this site http://jeffreyellis.org/blog/?p=4375 ). There was a bizarre mental disconnect there, in which both models existed but the wrong one was never questioned.

I first heard about the concept of a mental disconnect from Sam Harris. This is the first time I can remember experiencing it myself. I had two completely contradictory models operating in my mind and not coming up as disagreeing with each other until I read that article.

Judging by the title of this thread, I thought you saw a mirror.

And also, do NOT be an astronomy major. It gets waaaaaay harder than this.

Judging by the title of this thread, I thought you saw a mirror.

And also, do NOT be an astronomy major. It gets waaaaaay harder than this.

Thanks, Beefy, but this concept wasn't really that hard to grasp.

If you understood my point you'd understand why you're all idiots, but since you don't and will refuse to, and now that I have presented you with the information will, predictably, believe you always believed this way, I forgive you for your ignorance.

Thanks, Beefy, but this concept wasn't really that hard to grasp.

If you understood my point you'd understand why you're all idiots, but since you don't and will refuse to, and now that I have presented you with the information will, predictably, believe you always believed this way, I forgive you for your ignorance.
Watermark; failed philosophy scholar.

You are all ignorant of this. And you're all wrong. It just goes to show how far ahead of the curve I am.

I am now intensely satisfied at how much smarter I am than everyone in all subjects.

Back