I still don't understand how he makes noodles

It's exponential increase. Each time he folds it it doubles the number of noodles and decreases their width as he stretches it back to the full length of the table. Using the flour he keeps the noodles from sticking to each other... 2, then 4, then 8, then 16, then 32, then 64, then 128, so forth.

It's exponential increase. Each time he folds it it doubles the number of noodles and decreases their width as he stretches it back to the full length of the table. Using the flour he keeps the noodles from sticking to each other... 2, then 4, then 8, then 16, then 32, then 64, then 128, so forth.

That's not really what I couldn't understand, it was more about how he is able to make them so quickly and yet so perfectly. I have tried it myself before now and can never get it right.

That's not really what I couldn't understand, it was more about how he is able to make them so quickly and yet so perfectly. I have tried it myself before now and can never get it right.
Technique and practice. My mother makes home made egg noodles that are to die for. Mine are nothing close. I use the same recipe as her but she's been doing it for a hell of a lot longer. Just keep practicing is all I can can tell you. Another thing. The best noodles are usually made with cold butter or cold lard. That makes them flaky and tender and more flavorful if less healthy. The other trick is to make the noodles with as little mixing and handling as possible because the more you mix and handle them the more glutton is created and that makes the noodles tough. That's where experience and technique come in.

I think he means the Chef's technique. I know I couldn't to that. I roll the dough out and then use an old noodle machine I inherited from my grandmother.

Most of your better eateries either make the noodles themselves or buy them from a bakery where their made fresh that day. They rarely buy dry store bought noodles.

I go to the local Chinese hypermarket fairly regularly and they sell both fresh and dried in huge quantities. I see many of the local takeaways and restaurants buying them.

Back