I told yall that bush and the french guy got along famously

Of course he wants war, he's a corporatist, cut from the same cloth as Bush's neocons.
France has some hard times ahead.

Of course he wants war, he's a corporatist, cut from the same cloth as Bush's neocons.
France has some hard times ahead.

Actually I'd argue the opposite. Seems like this guy might bring a little life back to the French economy and help them tackle that persistent double digit unemployment number they have.

I never understood the Bush fan vision of France as some sort of wimpy pacifist country.

Just because they don't take orders from Bush, and just because they didn't help us invade Iraq, doesn't mean they can't be a nasty little militaristic country in their own right. When their interests are threatened. Obvously, Iraq wasn't threatening Europe or America's interest, and the french were quite correct to sit out Bush's War.

I never understood the Bush fan vision of France as some sort of wimpy pacifist country.

Just because they don't take orders from Bush, and just because they didn't help us invade Iraq, doesn't mean they can't be a nasty little militaristic country in their own right. When their interests are threatened. Obvously, Iraq wasn't threatening Europe or America's interest, and the french were quite correct to sit out Bush's War.

I don't think this view of France being weak started in 2001.

Man, this is so old as to belong in a museum. Of course it didn't start there. The Brits and the French had a thing between them for centuries.

Anyway, for the US it pretty much began with the Maginot Line.

I didn't say a word about them being weak, or about the relative strength or performance of their military.

I said that they are not wimpy, nor pacifist. They are quite willing to play nasty, if their interests are threatened.

You're using in a newer way, I guess. Which is a corruption of the old term, but I guess I should give up on trying to correct people on it. But Bush is in no way a corporatist classically.

"The structure of fascism is corporatism, or the corporate state. The structure of fascism is the union, marriage, merger or fusion of corporate economic power with governmental power. Failing to understand fascism, as the consolidation of corporate economic and governmental power in the hands of a few, is to completely misunderstand what fascism is. It is the consolidation of this power that produces the demagogues and regimes we understand as fascist ones."
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article7260.htm

this is the type of corporatism and corporatist I'm talking about.
(see Benito Mussolini)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporatism

Historically, corporatism or corporativism (Italian: corporativismo) refers to a political or economic system in which power is given to civic assemblies that represent economic, industrial, agrarian, social, cultural, and professional groups. These civic assemblies, known as corporations (not necessarily in the same sense as contemporary business corporations) are unelected bodies with an internal hierarchy; their purpose is to exert control over their respective areas of social or economic life. Thus, for example, a steel corporation would be a cartel composed of all the business leaders in the steel industry, coming together to discuss a common policy on prices and wages. When much political and economic power rests in the hands of such groups, then a corporatist system is in place.

The word "corporatism" is derived from the Latin word for body, corpus. This original meaning was not connected with the specific notion of a business corporation, but rather a general reference to anything collected as a body. Its usage reflects medieval European concepts of a whole society in which the various components - e.g., guilds or trade unions, universities, monasteries, the various estates, etc. - each play a part in the life of the society, just as the various parts of the body serve specific roles in the life of a body. According to various theorists, corporatism was an attempt to create a modern version of feudalism by merging the "corporate" interests with those of the state. [citation needed]

Political scientists may also use the term corporatism to describe a practice whereby an authoritarian state, through the process of licensing and regulating officially-incorporated social, religious, economic, or popular organizations, effectively co-opts their leadership or circumscribes their ability to challenge state authority by establishing the state as the source of their legitimacy, as well as sometimes running them, either directly or indirectly through shill corporations. This usage is particularly common in the area of East Asian studies, and is sometimes also referred to as state corporatism.

At a popular level in recent years "corporatism" has been used to mean the promotion of the interests of private corporations in government over the interests of the public.

Back